[Fsf-friends] Re: CDAC fonts with Emacs.

Richard M. Stallman rms at gnu.org
Fri Oct 14 07:10:11 CEST 2005

    I downloaded the package and couldn't find any licence file.But
    according to me It seems to have some proprietory licencing
    because first line at http://www.m17n.org/emacs-indian/ says that
    Project Team has received permission from C-DAC to use the font.

The absence of a license means that these fonts are non-free.
"Permission from C-DAC to use the font" does not alter that,
so it does not make the situation any better.

It is a bad thing that m17n.org is distributing non-free fonts from
C-DAC.

Can someone tell me the name and email address of the people who run
that site?  We should write to them to ask them to stop distributing
these fonts, but first we should think carefully about what to say to
them.

I have cc'd Kenichi Handa because he is closely involved in Emacs
internationalization, and because he has some connection (I don't know
what) with that site.