[Fsf-friends] KDE vs GNOME war

Sriram N sriramx_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 10 16:09:13 CEST 2005

--- Sandip Bhattacharya <sandip at lug-delhi.org> wrote:

> I find this quite amusing, you keep harping on freedom, and free software,
> but
> conveniently dont mention the fact that a significant effort of Gnome is
> being spent on development using Mono, which is based on a non-free language!

I'd say there's nothing wrong with developing Gnome using Mono, which is based
upon some standards - ECMA standards. There was a lot of hue and cry over the
patents issue, but this seems to have largely settled down. One can use name
spaces and packages that are non-MS - GTK#, for e.g.

Also, isn't dbus supposed to be a "unifying architecture" ? I'd intended to
explore this sometime, but I just haven't made the time for such stuff yet. :(

Meanwhile, carry on with the discussion, please. There's lots of food for
thought here.

-- Sriram