[Fsf-friends] KDE vs GNOME war

Sandip Bhattacharya sandip at lug-delhi.org
Mon Oct 10 12:03:31 CEST 2005

On Monday, 10 Oct 2005 9:41 am, Harish Narayanan wrote:
> A deeper implication of this is that the KDE developers didn't value
> their freedom and decided to base their choice of toolkit purely on
> convenience. QT has since then slowly been made more free on different
> platforms, but is still non-free on some platforms. But some people, and
> I know at least one, who do not forget or forgive these things so
> easily. RedHat has also invested a lot in GNOME development over all
> these years and spent much time tuning their software to work well with it.

I find this quite amusing, you keep harping on freedom, and free software, but
conveniently dont mention the fact that a significant effort of Gnome is
being spent on development using Mono, which is based on a non-free language!

You even mentioned "beagle" (written in C#) in a reply on this thread!

And please, it irritates me no end when people misuse the purely english word
"free". If you mean the GNU definition of Freedom, please at least spell
"free" with a capital F (e.g. Free), so that people can distinguish it from
the common english meaning of the term  - "free" (meaning something which is
available without *any* strings, regardless of whether these strings are for
public good). Otherwise, the GNU litreature will continue to seem puzzling to
many lay people. We already have a very difficult time explaining this to
newcomers at LUG meets (and no, talking about Free Beer doesnt work very well
in schools and colleges ;) )

- Sandip

Sandip Bhattacharya  *    Puroga Technologies   *     sandip at puroga.com
Work: http://www.puroga.com  *   Home/Blog: http://www.sandipb.net/blog

PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3