[Fsf-friends] wsfii

Nagarjuna G. nagarjun at gnowledge.org
Sun Oct 9 22:46:54 CEST 2005

I attended wsfii in London, and met several hackers who are getting
together to make alternative free netowrks and free information
infrastructures.  New developments that are taking place in wireless,
and radio communications are very opromising and becoming very
economical.  I was meaning to write about the event for so long, but
nnot getting time.  so I thought I will at least send you the links so
that you will browse them.

http://81.168.51.180/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page: hivenetworks this
group playes with asus boxes and did wonderful things, like wireless
radio stations, webcasting, servers etc.  I carried one of their
boxes, and a flash also, all running linux kernel.

http://www.freifunk.net/ the german hackers who developed mesh
netowrks in berlin, and I have seen thisin action.  very impressive.
I have their firmware in the linksys wireless routers which run linux
kernel.

the most commendable is the freenetworks.org, djursland in denmark.
they have built a world largest wireless network connecting several
villages.  their free information infrastructure is a good example
for India to follow.

also met people who are leading in free map projects of london and
mumbai.

and also the gnoweldge.org

those of you who are interested in developing free netowrks with radio
and wireless, please contact me.  I will keep in mind your names for
the January workshop at Mumbai, where the will be coming to train, and
also conduct road shows.  India will be hosting thte international
WSFII event in Bangalore and in five other places during november 2005.

I will be out again for another ten days, and will give you more
details, meanwhile send me names if you are interested in the FII.

Nagarjuna