[Fsf-friends] LTSP for IT@SCHOOL GNU/Linux

swathantra software s2s2service@antispam.org
Mon Nov 28 20:31:29 IST 2005

Hi all,

LTSP for IT at SCHOOL GNU/Linux

   We  have got the HCL winbee thin client setup made working on customozed
Debian installation for
IT at SCHOOL. Few schools in Kannur are using HCL winbee thin client setup by
the company.
The schools faced problem when they wanted to install Debian customozed
IT at SCHOOL GNN/Linux system.
There was no proper support from  local company vendor who installed  the
machines.
 HCL thin client uses a proprietory OS and the bios setup was password
protected.
 There was no details given about the client server setup configuration. The
server was based on Redhat 9.

         After lots of struggle, I could replace the Redhat9.0 system with
customized debian installation.
 After few teakings, the winbee client machines can now  communicate over
XDMCP to the server,
get the workstation loging prompt  and the system is working good.

   We can now run LTSP on IT at SCHOOL GNU/Linux setup. Few more schools using
LTSP on earlier versions of Redhat8
has been now upgraded to Debian. All school installation now have Debain
customized for IT at SCHOOL.

Regards,

Sujeevan
S2S2, Kannur