[Fsf-friends] Re: suggestions needed on an initiative

Krishna Pagadala krishnaact@yahoo.com
Sat May 14 10:13:26 IST 2005

Punnet,
  Sorry. I live in US, so I cant be of much practical
help. So while emails matter, I was not sure that I
another comment would useful.

  Coming to the matter on hand. I think that only a
handful of students in any given college will be
interested. I think we should target them by personal
contact. My plan of action would be to drop into a CS
lab, catch the students who are in there of their own
interest (not just because it is a lab period), and
see if they are interested. 1st and 2nd years students
are ideal.

>From the FLOSS report
http://floss.infonomics.nl/report/Final4.htm#_Toc13908256
We know that 2/3rds of the FLOSS community are
motivated to join and stay in FLOSS for the following
reasons.
1) Share knowledge and skills.
2) Learn and develop new skills

I think we should try to find common ground on those
reasons. Also we should mention that their job
prospects will improve (and they will, it happened to
me).

I am quite surprised that nobody took Thejesh up on
his  offer of money. Maybe an award kind of system
(from FSF) will be more useful.

I am quite keen on IT@School, and Skole Linux, if
anybody wants to take it up, I will be more than happy
to fund it with small amounts of money.

Sarath, will you be interested?

-Krishna

--- Puneet Goel <puneet.maillist@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > > and that too without any deviation. Not only
> this we
> > > have some more
> > > points which can be added gradualy.
> > >
> > > we have 2 options either we start on their
> portal
> > > etc. (but they might
> > > have their own reservations) or we start on our
> own
> > > with few more like
> > > minded people and take these guy's help, learn
> from
> > > their experiences.
> > >
> > > As Mr. Raghav said rightly "I agree with
> Nagarjuna's
> > > email that
> > > instead of coming up with new initiatives, it
> might
> > > be a good idea to
> > > leverage existing ones. Personally, I see a
> mailing
> > > list as only one
> > > part of the answer, and for that, we can
> definitely
> > > use the sarai.net
> > > mailing list. I think what we need to do is to
> come
> > > up with a
> > > comprehensive proposal and then take it to
> > > FSF-India, sarai.net,
> > > Sarovar and any others out there to see
> how/where
> > > they can help. There
> > > are lots of people on those forums whose
> experience
> > > will prove very
> > > valuable to us."
> > >
> > > rest sarover has been just a host for various
> > > projects. it is not
> > > relevent to what we r thinking of. yes! we can
> > > try/will to support it
> > > by hosting some of the projects there.
> > >
> > > but one thing is for sure. whatever we will do
> we
> > > shall be doing it in
> > > complete harmony with FSF India.
> > >
> > > let me know your comments.
> > >
> > > Thanks and Regards,
> > > Puneet
> > >
> > > Ps: I am looking forward to hear from more
> people on
> > > this. Please feel
> > > free to flame me if you think i am wrong at some
> > > point :)

> Ragavan

> > > the list. I definitely
> be a
> > > wonderful opportunity
> and
> > > open source software in

> cities, we
> > > may want to start
> > > working in the computer
> two we
> > > can target for

> better
> > > to strengthen the
> and
> > > sarovar.org.

> > To Reflect, to Inspire and to Empower
> > http://www.employees.org/~krishnap/
> >
> >    The great moral question of the twenty-first
> century is: If all knowledge, all culture, all art,
> all useful information, can be costlessly given to
> everyone at the same price that it is given to
=== message truncated ===

To Reflect, to Inspire and to Empower
http://www.employees.org/~krishnap/

    The great moral question of the twenty-first century is: If all knowledge, all culture, all art, all useful information, can be costlessly given to everyone at the same price that it is given to anyone -- if everyone can have everything, everywhere, all the time, why is it ever moral to exclude anyone from anything? -Eben Moglen