[Fsf-friends] Re: suggestions needed on an initiative

Thejesh GN gnthej@gmail.com
Wed May 11 07:53:45 IST 2005

Few days back I had written a mail on my colleged list asking the students
work on FOSS projects, and about the support which I can give it to them.
But nothing interesting came back from my juniors. Now I am open to others
too. Please read the mail below and forward to interested people. Or if
somebody from FSF-I can co-ordinate this, I am will be happy to co-operate
along with them.
Hopefully will hear something interesting this time.
Thanks,
Thejesh
thej at techmag dot biz
http://www.techmag.biz/?q=node/87
[FORWARD]
 Hello BTLITians,
I have always been always thinking that students can create wonders.....even
I have been student (but didnt create any other than B** reputation). And I
have been thinking about the open source. Wonders have been created when
they came together all time. Linux is the best example I can give. Well I
wasn't a computer science student when I was in college so I didnt try to do
any extra-ordinary. But surprisingly all my college projects were software
projects. I did enjoy coding but most of it was coded by Vinay.
I joined the bandwagon when I joined a software company and it became my
job. I have been coding for almost two years now and I really enjoy it. And
I could appreciate some of the wonders like phpMyAdmin, 7-Zip,FCKeditor,
Open Office etc.....well all this are running on my computer now. Well the
configuration of my own site goes like this.....it runs on *Apache webserver
*, with *MySQL* running on the back ground supported by *PHP* , using *Drupal
CMS*; all running on *Linux*. Well I forgot to tell you that I maintain the
database using *phpMyAdmin*.
This is my time to give back to my college and the open source area. I am
not a rich guy to support something really big but still can give something
to this area. I have decided to support an innovative student project this
year for three months. May be if I have enough cash I might do this every
year; But for now I would like to support the best open source student
project. Here the best doesnt mean the best in the college; It means I will
go through the proposals and If I decide the project is innovative and can
help the real world project then I might support it at the cost of Rs
2500/month for three months. Well I know its not big money but its quite
enough to buy some books and get an internet connection isn't it? So start
thinking of solutions to real world problem. I dont want code it and forget
it kind of projects.
Well when we have money we will surely have conditions ..isn't it? Here are
few..... The project will be open source project. It will be hosted at
sourecforge.net <http://sourecforge.net> /sarovar.org /
gnu.org.in<http://gnu.org.in>.
Which means it will be completely public. It can be of any domain from
computer science to image processing. My other condition is I will pay only
when it reaches some stable condition. If that looks ok then start writing a
small proposal guys.
Well initially I will keep it only for BTLITians in the beginning. If I dont
get a satisfactory result I might go even to public. So this is your chance
to grab it. Keep sending proposals using
http://www.techmag.biz/?q=feedbackInclude some basic details about you
group; mail ids; purpose and summary of
the project. Just a two page write up should be enough. Include proper
subject line.
Thanks,
Thej
[/FORWARD]