[Fsf-friends] WinXp Vs Linux

Paul Alapatt paul.alapatt@gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 22:27:51 IST 2005

> Im submiting papers to my admin authority for usage of FLOSS.To start
> the battle , i want to convince them to use GNU/Linux instead of
> WinXP. Can someone through light on cost estimate for single machine
> using WinXP + Office and another using GNU/Linux
> WinXP cost somewhere around Rs 6000 single machine licensing ( im not sure
> ) .Can someone point to some relevant data.
> Google dint helped me much...

Yes Windows XP Professional costs somewhere around Rs. 7,500.00 per
machine in India. While Windows XP Home costs around Rs. 4500.00 per
machine.
(http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11229&item=7144630448&rd=1)

There is no software liecensing cost attached to using "gentoo or
Fedora or Red Hat upto version 9". On the other hand if you go in for
Red Hat Enterprise versions such as ES and AS, there would be a
similar pricing structure as Windows, the details of which you would
have to contact your local Red Hat Office.

Tried to scribble something at http://www.ryze.com/go/bernardlabs hope it helps.

Take care,
Paul Alapatt
+91-9820187987