[Fsf-friends] What is MS' Plan?

Laxminarayan Kamath kamathln@gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 15:07:17 IST 2005

[ http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1059475.cms
  The article appeared in today's Times Of India , Page 4 ]

 BANGALORE: Microsoft Corporation India has opened a Microsoft
Technology Centre at Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU) in
Karnataka.

The centre has been launched as a part of the 'academic developer
programme', introduced by the world's biggest software company in end
2002.

The technology centre will function as a one-stop shop; a research lab
for faculty and students, a training centre for faculty, and an
e-learning resource centre.

VTU is also introducing a 4-semester M. Tech. programme in Microsoft's
.NET technologies — a set of Microsoft technologies for connecting
information, people, systems and devices

The programme will kick off in the next academic year, and will be
available to students in 118 VTU-affiliated colleges across the state.

The centre will include hardware and software support and will impart
training to faculty and students on a range topics including .NET.

Independents Software Vendors (ISVs) can also avail the facilities of
the centre to test their applications.

Commenting on the alliance, Mr T N Chaturvedi, governor of Karnataka
and chancellor of Visvervaraya Technological University said, "In line
with our mission to become an outstanding university by producing
world-class engineers, we strive to offer our students and faculty
with the cutting-edge technology. We realise that the next computing
wave will be that of web services. This partnership will help students
and aspiring developers leverage the immense opportunity in building
web services-based applications."

--
Laxminarayan Kamath Ammembal
(+91) 9845 061385