[Fsf-friends] Patents (Amendments) Bill, 2005, passed in the Parliament

Nagarjuna G. nagarjun@gnowledge.org
Sat Mar 26 09:59:33 IST 2005

On Thursday 24 Mar 2005 6:58 am, Ramanraj K wrote:
> The  Patents (Amendments)  Bill was  passed in  the  Parliament,
after
> dropping  clauses  3(k)  and  3(ka)  relating  to  computer
programs,
> restoring the  status quo.  Computer programs are  outside the
purview
> of patentability.
>
> http://pib.nic.in/release/release.asp?relid=8096
>
> <quote>
> It  is proposed  to omit  the clarification  relating to  patenting
of
> software  related inventions  introduced by  the Ordinance  as
Section
> 3(k) and 3 (ka). The clarification  was objected to on the ground
that
> this may give rise to monopoly of multinationals.
> </quote>
>
> FSF  India lead an  active campaign  against the  Patents
(Amendments)
> Ordinance that  introduced patentability for  embedded software,
under
> the leadership  of Richard Stallman, Nagarjuna, Arun  and others
here.
> Holger Blasum, Christian  Beauprez, and others at ffii.org  made a
big
> difference in strengthening the campaign.

Prabir Purkhayasta of Delhi Science Forum and
Kiranchandra also helped in lobbying for this.  we
should also record our thanks to them. And also of
course to Ramanraj who drafted our statement after lot
of research.

Nagarjuna