[Fsf-friends] Conflicting Reports

Ramanraj K ramanraj.k@gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 07:45:58 IST 2005

  There are too many conflicting reports. We should wait for an
authoritative source to publish the contents of the Bill.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Yet another shameless day in India
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 05:48:22 +0530
From: Nagarjuna G. <nagarjun@gnowledge.org>
To: Ramanraj K <ramanraj.k@gmail.com>
CC: in-parl@ffii.org

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 08:38:03PM +0530, Ramanraj K wrote:
> http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/000200503222001.htm
>

> Lok Sabha passes Patents Bill
> ...The Bill provides for product patents in drugs, agri-products and
> embedded software...

The above report is wrong:

The reports say that "patenting of software embedded with hardware" is
dropped from the ordinance.  That is what we demanded.

"According an Indian pharma company The new look patent law takes
steps to ensure that available drugs t leave the market and keeps
embedded software out of the patent ambit. Key provisions that enable
recognition of product patents for pharmaceuticals and food, in line
with committments to the WTO, have the official added. been
accepted,donofficial,"
http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=66980

"It has also decided to exclude embedded software from the ambit of
the product patent regime."
http://inhome.rediff.com/money/2005/mar/22patent.htm

"In addition, patenting of software embedded with hardware, introduced
in the Ordinance, has been dropped. Left parties had objected to
software patenting on the ground that it might give rise to foreign
multinational monopolies."
http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=85839

Nagarjuna