[Fsf-friends] Legal Affairs Wing

Ramanraj K ramanraj.k@gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 07:54:50 IST 2005

  I propose we create a Legal Affairs Wing to discuss, research and
solve legal issues involving the use of Free Software.  Pressing issues
should receive the highest priority, but we cannot afford to lose sight
of the fact that GNU Freedom could become the mother of *all* our
Freedoms. Law reform and the task of reducing law to code would be the
main work of the Legal Affairs Wing. Modern legal systems need to use
free software.

Often, people imagine legal applications to be "vertical" but on the
contrary, nothing could be more "horizontal".  Law is the common
background for *all* of us.    Making the law available as free software
code would make free software more ubiquitous in society.

Today's editorial in the Hindu, includes an opinion on "Making
Government Intelligent" that is available online at :
 http://www.hindu.com/2005/03/21/stories/2005032101751000.htm .  We need
to act quickly.  Free software is based on the philosophy of love,
sharing, and freedom, and the same social colloboration is needed to
reduce the law to code to achieve success.  Many entities have "business
rules" written in antiquated languages based on non-free software, and
the lack of availability of equivalent or better free software code is
cited as main reason justifying use of non-free software. Our involvment
in a constructive way is necessary to bring about an important change.

The Legal Affairs Wing (LAW) should have two clear divisions, (1) "FSF
LAW", dealing with matters involving issues directly concerning FSF
India, such as gpl violations, and very specific issues concerning use
of free software, and (2) "GNU LAW" dealing with the law in general.

Please make room for GNU LAW - it will change our lives for the better :)

Regards,
Ramanraj.