[Fsf-friends] Free Software & Schools of Kerala

Arun M arun@gnu.org.in
Sun Mar 20 14:05:39 IST 2005

Dear Friends,

  Many of you would be aware of controversies relating to use of
  proprietary softwares in schools of Kerala. Teachers unions, free
  software community and political leaders in Kerala worked against
  government policies favoring  proprietary software companies like MS
in
  School IT Education. We saw public debates on initiatives like
  Microsoft Project Shiksha. Here in Kerala, Free software is no
  longer an issue of Software Developers and Users.

  Today Kerala Government seems to have decided not to
  provide training on proprietary software(with its resources).
IT@School has
  started efforts to provide teacher training on GNU/Linux (IT@School
  is a small wing under Dept of Education, Govt of Kerala which is
  looking after IT Education in schools). First batch training is
  expected to start by 31st of this month.

  While IT@School is going forwards with their formal channels of
  operations in providing teacher training and support , we feel that
  it is necessary to have an informal network which will complement
  official efforts. This kind of formal and informal system is in
  tune with culture of free software  movement.
  (GNU is a social project -- RMS)

  To establish informal network we are organising a state level
  meeting on 2nd of April in Cochin. Teachers and free software
  community volunteers from every district of Kerala are expected to
  participate in the meeting. District level action groups will be
  formed in the meeting. We would also like to chart out action plans to
  migrate all schools in Kerala to free software in next couple of
years.
  Starting with 8th Standard this year.

  I would like to request all free software activists from Kerala to
  make yourself available for this meeting and contribute to the
  initiative.

Thanking You,
Arun.

Venue: Shikshak Sadan, near Ernakulam South Railway station.
Time : 10 am - 3.30 pm

Please mail me offlist if you would like to join or need more
information.