[Fsf-friends]Bangalore one Project – A reverse gear e-governance: Re: IAS officer reply with respect e-Seva project to Central MIT Minister, NISG, INDIA-EGov, CM's, Secretary's of e-Gov, WHICH is being REPLICATED in Karanataka State

Venkat Kumaraswamy ellakannada@yahoo.com
Thu Mar 17 12:50:19 IST 2005

-----------------
Forwarded Message:
Subj:Bangalore one Project – A reverse gear e-governance: Re: IAS officer reply with respect e-Seva project to Central MIT Minister, NISG, INDIA-EGov, CM's, Secretary's of e-Gov, WHICH is being REPLICATED in Karanataka State Date:3/12/2005 8:28:39 PM Pacific Standard TimeFrom:umashankarc@yahoo.comTo:ellakannada@yahoo.com, cm@karnatakacm.com, cm@kar.nic.in, cs@karnataka.gov.in, itsec@bangaloreit.com, devcom@karnataka.gov.in, prs-fd@karnataka.gov.in, secybud-fd@karnataka.gov.in, secyexp-fd@karnataka.gov.in, hcom@vsb.kar.nic.in, prs-infra@karnataka.gov.in, prs-home@karnataka.gov.in, prshigh-edu@karnataka.gov.inCC:vs@nisg.org, ceo@nisg.org, piyush.gupta@nisg.org, satyajit.suri@nisg.org, sandeep.paidi@nisg.org, binay.sharma@nisg.org, bala.srinivas@nisg.org, rekha@nisg.org, devajoy.choudhury@nisg.org, umashankarc@yahoo.com, minister@mit.gov.in, mos@mit.gov.in, secretary@mit.gov.in, srinath@mit.gov.in, rgilani@mit.gov.in, dg@nic.in, lalitha@hub.nic.in, kashinath@hub.nic.in,
 pspillai@hub.nic.in, ellakannada@yahoo.com, novamed@aol.com, India-egov@yahoogroups.com, ellakavi@yahoogroups.com, ias-tn@yahoogroups.comSent from the Internet (Details)
Bangalore one Project – A reverse gear e-governance

Author: C.Umashankar IAS., (TN)
http://www.sugame.com/umashankar
umashankarc@gmail.com
The views expressed in this article are the personal
views of the author and they do not reflect the views
of any Government or the Indian Administrative
Service.

In the name of e-governance, Karnataka had decided to
favour a consortium of private companies through
Bangalore One project. Actually there is no
e-governance in the whole design of Bangalore One!
Collection of utility bills or collection of passport
applications can not be considered e-governance.
Bangalore one is a purely vendor driven utility bill
collection arrangement whereby the citizen who enjoys
remitting the sum through different banks and
different modes as on today is being cornered to make
the payment through the kiosks operated by the private
vendors. The effort would be to discontinue the online
payment portals (I wonder whether they are operational
even now) and direct service facility through the
respective offices/organisations.

I would appreciate the Karnataka Government if it had
decided to carry out this venture for true
e-governance such as online procedure for all licences
and permits, government approvals for building
permits, RTOs, labour department procedure, employment
exchanges, treasury payments, entire commercial tax
procedure, traffic police operations, police station
operations, rural development operations, highways
and PWD operations and so on.

The proposed Bangalore one nonsense does not cover any
of these areas!

After commencing true e-governance through Bhoomi,
with the full technical help of National Informatics
Centre (NIC), my esteemed colleague Rajiv Chawla had
jettisoned NIC and went for private vendors. And this
time it is not e-governance, but a good business for a
private partner in the name of e-governance. The
undoing of the e-governance momentum in Karnataka had
just begun.

What is the agenda behind this move?

I have certain pertinent questions?

Why a State Government wants to involve itself in
collection of BSNL bills?
BSNL and all telecom operators have their collection
systems already in position. Why include them? Is it
to show ‘volume of business’ which the AP
government boasts now and then when they talk about
their e-seva centres!
The volume of business is an utter nonsense. Even
without the e-seva or Bangalore one, the volume of
business is there. It is not that these kiosks
generate this volume. The BSNL (or like organisations
which have joined the bill collection kiosks) does all
the hard work. They generate the revenue through their
own business plan, infrastructure and manpower. The
kiosks simply collect these amounts as collection
agents. But this amount is shown (which is usually
large) as a turnover from the kiosks. It is a cheap
business trick. If I could find out the cheap trick
beyond this smoke and hype, it is not going to take
much time for others to find out this in the near
future.
After India had commenced liberalisation, the States
and Central Government have hardly any role in private
business. They have to move out from their existing
business ventures through disinvestment. The
Government of India and State governments have
already been doing this. But Karnataka wants to get
into private business!
It cannot be argued that this effort would result in
better citizen services. Because the citizens of
Bangalore have already been enjoying online payment
facility and payment facility through multiple bank
counters. The kiosks would restrict them to go to
these 15-50 counters! It is going to be a downgraded
service and not the other way around.
And what are the plans for the rural masses! Can this
service provide online Old Age Pension service or can
it allow the rural masses to enhance their democratic
participation through transparent and online rural
development administration? Can it empower the women,
especially the rural women or can it empower the
SC/STs?

I am deeply concerned and so I am using harsh words
against my own wishes.
Why I am concerned?
I am explaining the cause of my worry in the
succeeding paragraphs.

Before I explain why the Bangalore one nonsense is
against humanity, let me share my anguish from a real
life situation.

Runaway bribe culture. Can Bangalore One rein in this
culture?
A month and half ago, one of my acquaintances
approached me and informed that an officer was
demanding Rs.10 lakhs to clear a file. There was
nothing unusual or out of the way in the whole
proposal. Even when everything was alright with the
proposal he was asked to remit the huge sum as bribe.
I wanted to intervene. But my acquaintance said that
if I intervened the whole thing would be off and they
would ensure that he would be ruined. He begged me to
desist from interfering. He did not have the money to
pay the bribe. Rupees ten lakhs is not a small sum!
This acquaintance had come up in his life doing porter
service in Chennai railway station. Through sheer hard
work he had come up in life. The situation was that if
he did not pay the bribe, he was going to lose the
whole investment which he had already made in that
venture. This was all borrowed money. So he chose to
borrow the bribe sum and remitted the same in two
instalments. Even after remitting the huge bribe, the
officer had cleared only one out of the two proposals.
The other one is still pending. In between I had to go
to Bihar for election duty. Today morning (12th March
2005) the acquaintance called me to inform about this
daughter’s  engagement. I asked him a few more
questions. Yes, till date he did not get approval for
the second part  of the proposal though he had paid
the full sum (agreed bribe sum for both the
proposals). His partner had decided to break off from
the business because of this delay. I also asked him
whether he dealt with through agents or the officer
himself had interacted with him directly. He replied
that the officer himself gave the instructions in
person to him. He had paid the last instalment of Rs.2
lakhs at Nagercoil bus stand, as per the officer’s
instructions!

Now people would raise questions, in all the wrong
ways!  (The way Tehelka was witch hounded)
Why you did not inform the Government?
You are also a silent accomplice to this fraud and so
on.
Let me request you to look at the point I wish to
drive at the end of this paragraph.

(I informed the CBI. They said they would not be able
to do anything without the consent of the State
Government. They are now looking for the assets of
this officer. If the assets are created in TamilNadu
they would be able to catch him. But I am sure he is a
clever guy. He would be creating the assets in some
other State).

What I have described here is only a tip of the
iceberg. I don’t have many acquaintances who run
business or do special commercial ventures. Within
this limited number I got this information. I tremble
to imagine the real magnitude of corruption in
TamilNadu and rest of India. If something like this
can happen in TamilNadu which is supposed to be a
better administered State, what could be the position
in other States?

Now the question is does the Bangalore one project
have the prowess to curb this type of looting of
honest citizens?
No. None of the services envisaged has anything to do
with e-governance.
At present these utility bills are being collected by
the respective organisations. In addition to that
infrastructure they are creating a new kiosk
infrastructure only to benefit the private partner.
This private partner (consortium) would go to another
State such as Maharashtra, Rajasthan, TN etc and get
another order. This is a pollution of the highest
order. Unfortunately, this pollution spreads faster
than the environmental pollution.

Role of NISG
e-governance is supposed to capture the government
processes and not the bill collection alone.
As explained here, Bangalore One does not have any
components of e-governance.
NISG, a new venture to support e-governance in the
country apparently does not know the meaning of
e-governance. I fail to understand the  decision of
NISG to be part of Bangalore One. This is a pure and
cheap commercial venture in which an august body such
as the NISG has no role at all. This had demoralised
die hard e-governance lobbyists like me.
What demoralises the e-gov enthusiasts more is that
the wrong lead given by NISG may lead to a series of
wrong ventures in Karnataka and other states too.

Bangalore One is going to raise questions about the
existence of NISG!

What is e-governance?
e-governance is the process of automating the
government operations in such a manner that wherever
the government to citizen/ G to business/ G to G
interface takes place the same should  be electronic
enabled. This means the citizens should be enabled to
file all their applications for licences, permits etc
online and get the orders of the Government / local
body online. Internet has to play a crucial role.
The Government offices /local body offices have to be
e-enabled to process the entire requests online.
Primacy should be given to electronic records and NOT
paper records. The citizen interface should be fully
e-governed. The government employees should commit
their transactions online. All the Tottenham based
personal registers have to give way to process driven
automation system!
In short, process automation is the key to
e-governance.
Similarly, the business houses have to get a facility
whereby their entire interaction with the Government
should go online. Today, the business community in
India has to bribe its way in all its interaction with
the Government. If one wants to register a company and
obtain a Sales Tax certificate there is a price, the
labour department has its own pricing system for every
type of transactions, the inspector of factory office
has its price, the electrical inspector has his price,
the Assistant Commissioner of Commercial Tax
department has his/her price, and the tale of owe goes
on and on.
Another of my acquaintances was explaining his recent
encounter with a lady Assistant Commissioner of
Commercial Taxes (enforcement) department in Chennai.
This lady officer believes in straight business. Her
way is to start the bribe negotiations right at the
first minute of her entering the premises of a
factory/company. She fixes her amount and places her
demand for bribe sum even before setting her eye on
any of the records of the factory / company which she
visits.
The private companies, even if they are very honest
are scarred to gain enmity of  these vultures because
they can always find some technical fault. Even if
there is none, they can write a false report and
implicate a defiant company.
It is extremely painful for an honest businessman in
India to run his business. Lack of transparency which
induces corruption is the root cause. It is a
different matter that unless these businessmen carry
out their day to day activities there can be no
employment, no taxes, no income to the Government and
there can be no government worth its salt too. Yet,
the honesty of businessmen is tested on a day to day
basis all over the country by these vultures. The
system however is a darling for the unscrupulous
businessmen.
In the end, the citizen is the loser. For every such
bribe paid, the businessman has to recoup the
‘loss’ though some other way. The balancing act
results in public damage such as adulteration, under
wieghment etc.
e-governance has to put a check on these vultures. By
resorting to process driven automation system and
bringing up all the citizen/business interfaces
online, the Governments can achieve a high level of
efficiency and revenue accruals.

Had it happened in Karnataka?
There are only two places in India where process
automation takes place, viz., Tiruvarur district of
TamilNadu (1999 onwards in all Taluk offices) and in
Taluk offices of Karnataka (Bhoomi project (2001)
which does the limited operation with regard to land
record maintenance in rural Karnataka).
One needs to e-enable the citizens by hosting these
services online using internet and open source
software as medium.
Karnataka’s proposed Bangalore one nonsense has no
solution to any of the ills descried above.

Let us make an analysis of the Bangalore one.
The pluses and minuses of Bangalore one
1.    it has no governance or e-governance content. It
has no software for handling the back office
operations of the government offices. It does not have
even a single service which can be called
e-governance. Payment of utility bills does not come
under governance at all. This may come under the
definition of (part of) e-commerce. It is a different
matter that Governments have no business to involve
themselves in e-commerce. It is an exclusive domain of
the private corporate.
2.    it has nothing for the business community, save for
the consortium which had been identified for the
implementation of the project.
3.    it is not process automation based.
4.    it does not have any plan for the Government
offices. It has plans only for the window dressing
(kiosks)
5.    it does not have anything for the poor who
constitute over 50% of Kannadigas.
6.    it has nothing for the rural areas, which
constitute 75-80% of Karnataka.
7.    it has nothing for women or SC/STs. (The rural
e-seva project which has been under implementation in
West Godawari district of Andhra Pradesh has given
primacy to women self help groups for the kiosk
operations. Though the West Godawari project had not
automated the back office operations, it had resulted
in massive empowerment of the rural women. For this
achievement, Sanjay Jaju  and his team deserve all
credits. West Godawari had gradually started building
the back office automation as well, according to the
latest reports. Why Karnataka chose to ignore this
women empowerment issue?)
8.    Bangalore one or any other similar project has the
retarding effect of stalling true e-governance
projects. This had already happened in AP. The e-seva
project had resulted in stalling of all other efforts
to bring in true e-governance. AP has nothing to quote
as genuine e-governance effort except the registration
department automation which was commenced before the
commencement of e-seva. The private vendors would
allow anything which has something for them. After
tasting success in one project such as the e-seva,
they look for only the ‘revenue models’ and not
something which is beneficial to the citizens/common
man. The revenue model means revenue to them. May be
it is a shared revenue.
9.    According to the e-mail admission from NISG, the
NISG which manages the Bangalore one nonsense has no
plans for rural areas.
(http://www.sugame.com/umashankar)

Sabotaging political will
True e-governance requires a strong political will.
The very fact that Karnataka had reached this level
with Bangalore One shows that there is tremendous
political will for e-governance in Karnataka. The
political executive apparently is of the opinion that
they had given go ahead for e-governance. They had no
idea that they had consented to something which does
not come under the definition of e-governance! This
had been clearly explained in the foregone paragraphs.
I am deeply concerned that such a political good will
coming from Karnataka Government is being cunningly
diverted to a smoke screen project which is aimed at
benefiting only the private sector implementing
agencies/consortium. By the time the political leaders
realise this malady, precious time would have been
lost. A forward looking and potential state for
wholesale e-governance is going down in an abyss. A
potential opportunity is being wasted through this
diversion!
Who is  behind this Bangalore One nonsense?

Why the advocates of Bangalore One are afraid of True
e-governance?
After achieving political will, true e-governance
venture requires careful assessment and planning. It
requires leaders. It needs the support of the
Government employees. It needs champions from among
the bureaucrats to spearhead the momentum. This list
is only illustrative.
These steps involve real leadership and efforts.
People don’t want to take pain or leadership. They
want to show results without any efforts or pain. So,
the private operators come up with this magic wand
called e-seva, a magic wand that worked ‘wonders’
in Andhra Pradesh.
But the times have changed. When Andhra’s e-seva
was introduced, India was nowhere in the e-gov field.
Now there is tremendous awareness among Indians within
India and abroad. The magic wand is going to fail this
time.
The very fact that I have written this piece shows
that the magic wand has already been failing to
impress!
Every paisa spent on Bangalore One project has to be
brought under CAG’s scanner.
Today experts in e-governance are ready to volunteer
the CAG’s team to study and analyse a deeds/misdeeds
of a government in the area of e-governance.

Let us start with Bangalore One and then with the
momentum created by it let us implement other e-gov
projects!
This was the question posed by a senior officer of
Karnataka Government when we had a telephone
discussion on this subject.
The officer wanted to know the feedback from me for
various angles. So, he acted as a devil’s advocate
and raised a few questions. This is one of them.
I answered him that Bangalore One would not create the
momentum one expects.

‘When we implement e-governance solutions we need to
put our best foot forward. We should never put the
wrong foot forward. Because the first wrong foot
forward would beget another wrong foot. For example,
the Andhra e-seva project which was a wrong foot
forward had already resulted  in another wrong foot in
the form of e-procurement which is totally vendor
driven. There is no enabling factor in both these
projects. So, my opinion is that Karnataka should not
put its wrong foot forward. The proposed Bangalore One
project would not result in any empowerment. We need
the Government employees, citizens and the Government
to get empowered through any typical e-governance
effort. In the Bangalore one project, the Government
and government employees are being kept away. Only the
private vendor has his say all the way. Bangalore one
would create a severe dependency factor. Both the
Government (its employees also) and the citizens have
to be dependent on the private partners who carry out
the project. This goes against all parameters’

I also informed another angle as to why Karnataka
should not go for Bangalore one with the present
content. This is my genuine concern too. We all know
that the press is dominated by the middle class. The
middle class oriented press would look at the hype
that is being generated by Bangalore One with special
interest. The hype will be generated by the private
partners as they are getting a sizeable income out of
this project. Looking at the hype, the press would
start writing great stories about Bangalore One. The
very same private operators would assist the
preparation of documentation for prestigious awards
such as Stockholm challenge etc. The officers behind
the project would get some award because the awards
have to be given to some one, every year. After
getting such awards, the officers who are behind this
project would feel satisfied that they had achieved
some great thing (whereas their achievement is next to
nothing) and then they would never have the drive to
look at the rural areas, women empowerment, SC/ST
empowerment using e-governance and so on.
So, Bangalore One has the potential to thwart
Karnataka One, meaning Karnataka on top of every other
States in e-governance.
The so called e-governance which is actually
collection of utility bills in Bangalore  city would
be restricted to the precincts of Bangalore city. The
effort would not evolve into process automation based
e-governance in Bangalore city (BMC) or in rest of the
government processes in the entire Karnataka state.

Private partner driven bogus e-governance, a threat to
India’s future
I am concerned at this lurking danger that
e-governance effort in India would be hijacked by
these private partners. The national e-governance
action plan had been approved for Rs.12,500 crores.
Everyone who wants to do business may have an eye on
this pie. The businessmen who believe in short cuts
may like to propose e-seva/Bangalore One like projects
only. This would result in total discredit to the
concept of e-governance in India.
It is my assessment that even 50 years after the
introduction of projects such as e-seva or Bangalore
One, the government offices would continue to be the
same. The vultures in the government offices (calling
themselves as Government officers) would continue to
fleece the citizens. The politicians would remain
happy because these vultures would offer a share of
the booty to the political class for their election
expenses. But the citizen would continue to be a slave
under a fully ‘e-governed’ atmosphere.
The citizen would have two sets of full fledged
governments, one run by the actual government and the
other by the vendors who have taken up the
‘e-governance’ projects. Both of them would have
equal number of employees. In the initial period of
hype, the private sector bill collection centres may
not indulge in fraud or corruption. Such a situation
would not continue for long.  A time would come, not
long from now, we would hear the news that the
Directorate of Vigilance and Anti corruption had
entered XYZ seva centres and seized unaccounted money
or records.
This would be the natural result of an over grown
bureaucracy run by the private sector to administer
‘e-governance’.
The women, especially the rural women would continue
to remain deprived and oppressed. Their husbands would
happily beat them as usual despite the change in
times, from a traditionally governed nation to a fully
‘e-governed’ nation.
The Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe population would
continue to be discriminated against with no change in
the social system. They would be confined to their
slums/bastis despite the governments taking great
strides in the sphere of so called e-governance.

Oh! I am sorry for Karnataka and sorry for India.
Long live Bangalore One

Umashankar
12th March 2005
umashankarc@gmail.com
http://www.sugame.com/umashankar
Apologies for using the word nonsense often. I did not
find a more appropriate word than this to express my
feelings.

The inner voice:
1. There are enough number of critics to any new
initiative! Do you have a solution framework
Umashankar?
I hear this voice.
Yes I do have a solution framework.
In fact the whole write up had stemmed out from such a
solution framework.
I cannot volunteer unless the decision makers who
matter wish to change course and listen to the right
ways. I am willing to collaborate. Of course open
source will be the base line for any such initiative
or idea.

2. Open source vs. proprietary software: I have not
got into the open source Vs. proprietary source
(Microsoft) issue which is very much relevant  as on
today. Because there is much more here which forced me
to analyse the basis of the project, a project which
has no foundation!
Open source, the beauty of future mankind has to wait
for its turn.

prshigh-edu@karnataka.gov.inCC:ellakannada@yahoo.com,
> [...]
> it
> treats its citizens illiterate who require the
> assistance of the e-seva centres. e-seva concept is
> good when the citizen is illiterate and is not in a
> position to operate computers on his/her own. I am
> sure Bangalore citizens are literate enough to
> operate
> computers.
>
> By adopting e-seva concept the Government of
> Karnataka
> is putting a huge seal on true e-gov efforts.
> Because,
> under e-seva concept, back office automation is
> given
> a go by. That means the back office work would
> continue to be under the manual method or a non
> scientific computerised method.
>
> Ideally speaking, the back office should be
> automated
> using online methodology. Each and every government
> official has to switch over to mouse and keyboard
> from
> pen and paper. After succeeding in this effort, the
> agencies have to open up their online counters to
> the
> public. This includes internet based payments.
> This would result in true transformation in the
> country.
>
> e-seva would kill such a transformation initiative.
>
> e-seva can be taken up only where user charges are
> there. Can you imagine user charges in rural
> development areas and social welfare areas?
>
> That means the so called "e-governance" would never
> reach these people in Karnataka. My colleagues would
> be happy to announce it as yet another greatest
> thing
> they have done. They may even be awarded with
> international citation!
>
> An e-governance effort without taking into account
> the
> poor section of the society can be called only anti
> human.
>
> Well, I have one more observation to make.
> Can e-seva reduce the loot that is being committed
> by
> Government officials and others in RTOs/police
> stations/PWD/HW offices/ education department/labour
> department/industries department/commercial taxes
> department?
> What about building licences!
> You can get a glaring building construction
> violation
> as long as you pay the right money to the Bangalore
> officials!
> Can they make the building construction approval
> online?
> Can they book the corrupt rats in the Bangalore
> corporation through e-seva?
> Can they issue driving licences and vehicle permits
> through e-seva centres?
>
> Let us first make the licence raj online.
> The country is under the peril of being
> disintegrated
> due to corruption in government departments?
>
> And where is the role for NISG here?
> Sucides can be done without NISG's assistance too!

C.Umashankar IAS., (TamilNadu Cadre)
e-governance expert and Member (Special Invitee) - Working group for implementation of National e-governance action plan, Government of India, New Delhi.
Member, India e-gov group.

Current assignment:
Election Observer (General) in East Champaran district - Motihari town from 7th Feb 2005 to 1st March 2005.
Tel: 06252-241035
Mob: 94316-32262

Chennai:
Ph: 91-44-52054443