[Fsf-friends] MS' influence redux

Ragavan Srinivasan ragava@gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 11:00:08 IST 2005

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 22:35:06 +0530, Raj Mathur <raju@linux-delhi.org> wrote:

> Well, food, shelter and clothes do come before abstract ideas like
> freedom for most people in this country.  I may intellectually damn a
> college catering to the job market, but deep down I can't really take
> exception to its strategy.

Are you saying we would still be happy under colonial rule, if somehow
we had food, shelter and clothes?  No offense, but your response
unfortunately seems to read more like a stereo-typical comment one
would find in Slashdot conversations.

Don't get me wrong. I do think Joe's original comment about campus
placement offices is very true. However, the answer does not have to
be one of submission, but rather that of increasing awareness.
Numerous job opportunities abound for students well versed in free
software, and colleges/universities stand to benefit on a lot of other
fronts as well from students using/contributing to free software.
Maybe a local LUG representative can give a seminar to nearby
colleges?

Regards,
Ragavan