[Fsf-friends] MS' influence redux

Praveen A pravi.a@gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 15:46:59 IST 2005

> Hmm., the problem with this is that., people `create the
> attention` but fail to do the phase two., the ideology. They are
> happy with the results of phase 1 and hence the result wears
> off, or ends up as not useful to the community. A person who uses
> `linux` all day and does not want to acknowledge the `gnu` in it,
> is just no different from any other windows user.

It is happening in our campus and I'm trying to change it with my
friends Dilip and Amal to educate them of the Gnu part. All computer
Science students here know 'linux' and they use it for project,
programming ... and they never know the underlying philosophy, nor
they support it. What is the use if we see all the users of The world
use 'linux' and no one cares about the gnu part and they go on
installing proprietay softwares on 'linux' , like skype, acrobat
reader, oracle... and so one ?

What do the community gain from it ? I firmly believe it is important
to talk about the Freedom. We are not advertising here for Linus
Torvalds who only want to see the maximum number of users use his
software (well, I appreciate his effort and the importance, but don't
neglect the real facts).

--
            "There is no system but GNU, and Linux is one of its kernels."
A proud GNU user