[Fsf-friends] MS' influence redux

balachandran c balachandran_c@rediffmail.com
Thu Mar 17 09:10:33 IST 2005

In our discussion about the subject, we were pointing out the current state of affairs. Most of the actions proposed involved contacting the relevant authorities and pointing out the facts to them. While this is necessary, it is nowhere near sufficient. (Please don't misunderstand me, I do believe that it involves a lot of hard work, and it really is necessary). Let us assume that these efforts become successful. MS could still give away their software to students, or show off some eye candy (ooh, avalon is soo shiny). Suddenly, FS becomes that thing which you are forced to use, not something you choose to use. It is very easy to manipulate people's opinion against it, in this condition. This is under a very optimistic assumption.

We could use the {horse, cart} analogy here?? Shouldn't we try to get the students onboard first? Is it that difficult to get students' attention? Maybe we could sponsor an FS based event in college Tech. meets. Students will be looking around for interesting things, and they can find stuff about FS for themselves.

Are people neglecting the "attention first, ideology later" option because they think it is on the wrong side of "ends / means" argument? Is it considered too *ahem* inappropriate to be discussed on this list?

Bala.