[Fsf-friends] Update on Amendments to Patents Act

Ramanraj K ramanraj.k@gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 20:42:29 IST 2005

Mahesh T. Pai wrote:

>Ramanraj K said on Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 05:53:56AM +0530,:
>
> > <quote>
> > Cyber expert and Supreme Court advocate Pawan Duggal pointed out that in
> > the US, software itself is patentable.
>
>Which is only the half the truth.
>
>IIRC, it began when the US supreme Court directed the USPTO to grant a
>patent to  a specific  software hardware combination  which controlled
>industrial production.
>
>By  executive action,  software patents  are being  granted.  I recall
>reading on Groklaw that if the US Supreme Court reverses its position,
>all software patents would be void there.
>
>Unfortunately,  no party  to patent  litigation in  that  country will
>raise a contention that software is not patentable, because that would
>be killing the  goose that lays golden egges. A  defendant in one case
>will be a plaintiff in another.

That is why the "WTO Legal System" exists, and India, along with other
countries opposing grant of patents for computer programs could complain
against the illegitimate practice before the WTO.