[Fsf-friends] E-newsletter on GNU/Linux... from India (free to share)

Frederick Noronha (FN) fred@bytesforall.org
Sun Mar 13 13:52:54 IST 2005

 	LinTux Newsletter - Saturday, Mar 12th, 2005
 	    "Spreading the Spirit of Gnu/Linux"
 	http://groups-beta.google.com/group/lintux

For joining the newsletter, scroll to the bottom for details

I also request you to send in your comments and suggestions regarding the
newsletter to: lintuxnews@gmail.com

 	WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF GNU/LINUX

**********************************
FSF/UNESCO Free Software Directory **********************************
The Free Software Directory is a project of the Free
Software Foundation (FSF) and United Nations Education,
Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). We catalog
useful free software that runs under free operating systems
- particularly the GNU operating system and its GNU/Linux
variants. Licenses are verified for each and every program
listed in this directory.

  Site to visit 5th Feb-19th March.

*************************
Rev up your presentations *************************
We all appreciate well-thought-out slide shows that
logically step through a topic, especially when they're not
dull and boring. When creating presentations, many of us are
tempted to toss in every little feature the software
supports. Unfortunately, cluttered slides can be hard to
follow, and obnoxious design elements look cheap. One good
technique to enhance your presentations is to use the GIMP's
mask feature to make interesting text and cut-out objects,
and make those objects move on an OpenOffice.org Impress
slide.

  Suppose you are trying to convince a client that he needs
to switch over to a remote support model for his customers.
His company currently sends its technicians...

Read Full:
http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/02/16/142721
8

**************************************
Woo Windows Users with Linux-in-a-Box
**************************************
In an effort to convince frustrated Windows users to adopt
Linux, Novell has introduced a new version of SuSE Linux
that bundles revamped applications and tools with the latest
version of the operating system. SuSE Linux Professional 9.3
includes the complete Linux operating system, more than
3,000 open-source packages, including the Microsoft
Office-compatible OpenOffice office suite, and hundreds of
open-source applications.

  The offering also includes a variety of graphics and
multimedia applications; multiple development tools; a
comprehensive set of Internet tools, including the
open-source Firefox 1.0 Web browser and e-mail and instant
messaging clients; an integrated firewall, spam blocker and
virus scanner; and support for VOIP (voice over IP) and
virtualization. By bundling such a vast array of
applications and tools, Novell hopes to woo Microsoft users
who may be frustrated with Windows' security bugs and might
be open to switching to Linux if the transition is smooth
and easy...

Read Full at:
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1775214,00.asp?kc=EWRSS
03129TX1K0000616

Desktop Linux wins plaudits for stability
CeBIT: Companies who choose open source software over
Windows for their enterprise resource planning tend to be
surprised by the absence of crashes, according to users and
vendors A company that migrated from Microsoft Windows to
Linux on the desktop has praised the open source operating
system's stability.

  Günter Stoverock, the data processing manager at German
import company Heinz Tröber, said on Thursday his firm had
decided against running its ERP software on Windows as it
considered it less stable than the open source alternative.
"We didn't want to rely on Windows-based systems as they
were quite instable and insecure," said Stoverock. "With
Linux there is no blue screen and no freezing - that was the
advantage for us."...

Read Full at:
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,391909
50,00.htm

******************************
10 Reasons to Switch to Linux
******************************
1. It Doesn't Crash
  Linux has been time-proven to be a reliable operating
system. Although the desktop is not a new place for Linux,
most Linux-based systems have been used as servers and
embedded systems. High-visibility Web sites such as Google
use Linux-based systems, but you also can find Linux inside
the TiVo set-top box in many livingrooms.

  Linux has proved to be so reliable and secure that it is
commonly found in dedicated firewall and router systems used
by high-profile companies to secure their networks. For more
than ten years, it has not been uncommon for Linux systems
to run for months...

Read Full at:
http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000117

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Fight Disease with Linux &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Like SETI@Home, the Folding@Home project takes advantage of
distributed computing to analyze data for a singular goal.
However, rather than searching for extraterrestrial radio
signals, Folding@Home is focused on protein-folding
simulations; once doctors understand how proteins behave,
they can examine the causes of - and hopefully design cures
for - a plethora of diseases.

To make these projects more appealing, they're often
packaged as screensavers that display pretty pictures while
using your CPU's "spare" cycles to crunch data and send it
back to the project home (SETI, for example, had a cool
graph of the radio frequencies and power levels)...

Read Full at: http://channels.lockergnome.com/linux/archives/20050308_figh
t_disease_with_linux.phtml

***************************************
GNOME 2.10 Desktop & Developer Platform
***************************************
The GNOME 2.10 Desktop and Platform release is the latest
version of the popular, multi-platform free desktop
environment.

  GNOME runs on a variety of platforms, including GNU/Linux
(commonly called Linux), Solaris, HP-UX, BSD and Apple's
Darwin. GNOME includes powerful features such as
high-quality smooth text rendering and first class
internationalization and accessibility support, including
support for bi-directional text....

Read Full at: http://channels.lockergnome.com/linux/archives/20050310_gnom
e_210_desktop_developer_platform.phtml

AmaroK is a step up for Linux audio players
With the release of amaroK 1.2 last month, I finally found
the Linux music player I've been wanting. When I moved to
Linux full-time about two years ago, the only software that
I missed from Windows was a quality audio player. Linux
audio players lacked features like cover downloads, smart
playlists, or easy burning to CD. Even worse, with a large
collection of more than 10,000 tracks, the Linux players
generally locked up when I tried to load them all, or at
least slowed to an unbearable crawl. AmaroK has all of the
basic features of modern Windows audio players, and some
features that I haven't seen in any other player.

  The name "amaroK" was taken from an album by composer Mike
Oldfield. Developer Mark Kretschmann said, "I've been a
long-time fan of Mr. Oldfield's work and thought the name
sounded nice, so I chose it for the application." Of course,
it doesn't hurt that the name already has a "K" in it. The
word means "wolf" in Inuit, which explains the various
amaroK logos....

Read Full at:
http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/03/04/174621
0

kernel size reduction that his main desktop machine no
longer featured an x86 processor. Hence, Torvalds said, a
patch specific to the x86 platform that he was submitting to
the list for consideration was totally untested.

  ZDNet Australia was intrigued by this remark, and sought to
question Torvalds on why the man who has single-handedly
revolutionised the use of Unix on the x86 platform would
move away from it, and where he had moved to. Torvald's
response came quickly and succinctly. "My main machine these
days is a dual 2GHz G5 (aka PowerPC 970) - it's physically a
regular Apple Mac, although it obviously only runs Linux, so
I don't think you can call it a Mac any more ;)" he said....

Read Full at:
http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/0,39023165,39183867,00.htm

+++++++++++++++++++++++
GNU/Linux user groups..
+++++++++++++++++++++++
This page contains a list of the useful user groups that
help in spreading Free/Libre and Open Source Software. Would
really appreciate any help in updating and correcting this
list and keeping it current. Let's try to network all the
'little' GNU/LUGs, who badly need your support to grow. FN
(Frederick Noronha in Goa)

Read Full:
http://wikiwikiweb.de/LugsList

**********************************
My Workstation OS: Linspire 4.5 **********************************
Built on a Debian Linux core, Linspire is designed for
simplicity of use, and it delivers this in spades. Linspire
eliminates the need for me to be technically proficient in
the nuances of Linux to successfully operate and enjoy the
OS. This includes loading software, staying updated, and
never seeing a command-line interface. It makes it very easy
to just get on with what I have to do and not worry about
the technicalities of using a Linux-based system.

  Installing Linspire is a often a pleasant surprise for
seasoned Linux users, as the operating system's hardware
detection routines are really top-notch. Many of the common
trouble spots for Linux, such as printers, USB keychain
drives, and DVD writers, are recognized and installed
automatically; no need to hunt for obscure libraries and
drivers. Linspire is also one of the very few distributions
to offer ...

Read Full at:
http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/03/10/1651237

FSF offers jobs page for employers, employees
While it has carried job listings on its site in some form
since 2001, the Free Software Foundation (FSF) launched a
newly revived "Jobs in Free Software" page last month to
match employers who are committed to the ideals of free
software with like-minded job seekers.

  John Sullivan, the program administrator for FSF, is the
man charged with bringing life to the jobs page and the rest
of the FSF site, which has recently undergone an extensive
renovation. He says that the job listings can be a valuable
resource for businesses "concerned with ethics" that want to
reach a community of job candidates who share the same
concerns...

Read Full at:
http://business.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/03/04/211255

More-Secure Linux Still Needs To Win Users
The National Security Agency built a version of Linux with
more security tools that its technologists believe could
help make the country's computing infrastructure less
vulnerable. They've won over the Linux developer community
with the changes. But success depends on its adoption by
U.S. companies and government agencies, something that
remains very much in doubt.

  For more than a decade, the National Security Agency has
worked on a way to use a computer's operating systems to
control how software applications and users can access data.
The agency succeeded years ago in creating these "mandatory
access-control" features for specialized operating systems,
but very few users deployed them. Taking a gamble in 2000 on
the emerging Linux operating system, NSA started applying
its security approach to the open-source code. The result is
Security Enhanced Linux, which it hopes can raise the
nation's overall level of cybersecurity...

Read Full at:
http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=
MRP5E2VFVSXTIQSNDBCSKHSCJUMEKJVN?articleID=60405829

*******************
CLI Magic: Antiword *******************
It's a simple fact of life. Most people have not yet found
their way to freedom, and instead try to make themselves as
comfortable as they can be in captivity. They suffer the
burdens of the monopoly with only an occasional wince at the
thought of malware or a curse because of their latest crash.
This almost always means their word processing is done with
MS Word. We've got to learn to deal with them, and their
documents. Antiword is a very handy little tool for doing
just that. Shake the cobwebs of the GUI out of your head and
meet me at the CLI and I'll show you how to use it.

  Antiword is a GPLd, multiplatform labor of love by Adri van
Os, with assistance from others in porting and making it
available on RISC OS, FreeBSD, BeOS, OS/2, Mac OS/X, Amiga,
VMS, NetWare, Plan 9, Epic, Zaurus, DOS, and Windows. Those
in addition to Linux/Unix, of course. Antiword is still in
beta, but I found it completely usable as it is. The current
release on Debian is 0.35.1...

Read Full at:
http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=05/03/07/0228215

**********************************
Review: Mandrake Corporate Desktop
**********************************
The corporate desktop GNU/Linux distribution is a relatively
new invention, having begun with SUSE Desktop, then followed
by Sun's Java Desktop System and Red Hat Desktop. But with
much less fanfare, Mandrakesoft released a Corporate Desktop
product last January. It's cheaper, has no minimum purchase
requirement, and has support options ranging from one to
five years. Compared to the alternatives, Mandrake Corporate
Desktop is suited more for smaller shops that need a
cost-effective and reliable desktop platform with corporate
support.

  Mandrake is traditionally known as a cutting-edge desktop
GNU/Linux distribution. It is often the first distro
recommended for many people when they consider switching to
GNU/Linux. Unlike other desktop distributions, Mandrake has
never been shy about including the most up-to-date software
packages in each new release....

Read Full at:
http://distrocenter.linux.com/article.pl?sid=05/03/07/224220

**********************************
Firefox Is Heading Towards Trouble
**********************************
Opinion: I think Firefox is the best browser on the planet,
but it's not going to stay that way long unless the team
behind it gets their act together sooner rather than later.
I love Firefox.

  It is, without a doubt, my favorite browser ever, and I've
used almost every one that ever rendered a Web page. No
matter what the operating system-Windows, Linux, heck, even
NetBSD-one of the first things I do now with any of my boxes
is to install Firefox on it. Firefox is also gaining
software support. In addition to smaller open-source add-on
programs, mainstream helper applications like Yahoo Toolbar
and Google Desktop Search are now coming to Firefox....

Read Full:
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1774091,00.asp?kc=EWRSS
03129TX1K0000616

***********************************
A More Business-Friendly BitTorrent
***********************************
Analysis: The latest version of this popular peer-to-peer
client and protocol makes it easier for both users and
network administrators to manage its bandwidth-hungry ways.
Open-source programmer Bram Cohen on Monday released version
4.0 of his popular BitTorrent client for Windows and Linux.

  BitTorrent is an ad hoc, P2P (peer-to-peer) protocol. Cohen
created it to address the problem of transferring popular,
large files over the Internet. Instead of using the
client-server model of traditional Internet file
distribution systems, such as FTP or the Web's HTTP or older
P2P systems such as Kazaa, wherein files are shared directly
among individual users, BitTorrent took a new approach...

Read Full:

****************************
The Oldest Trick in the Book
****************************
As the reach and deployment of computer technology expand,
the risks and problems associated with pervasive use and the
often breakneck speed of innovation and adoption impose more
and more frequently. And while numerous security advisories
are issued every day, those alerts probably represent only a
tiny fraction of the faults that exist and have yet to be
discovered - either by the good guys or the bad guys.

  One serious problem is vulnerability, where a fault or an
oversight in a software application allows unauthorized
access to the computer. While some vulnerabilities are
"mostly harmless" - for instance, spyware may be unwanted,
but is otherwise benign - others vulnerabilities can
undermine privacy and even breach security measures. A
significant weakness, or exploit, can even permit a
malcontent to trick a program into doing something it wasn't
designed to do.

  Oddly enough, the most commonly attacked exploit, the
buffer overflow, is also the oldest. Around since the
infancy of computers in the 1960s, buffer overflow first
gained widespread notoriety in 1988...

Read Full:
http://www.linux-mag.com/content/view/129/2123/

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Getting your digital pix using Linux
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
It may lack an all-in-one solution like Apple's iPhoto, but
there are tools that make using a digital camera with Linux
easy. In this month's column, I'll be showing you some
useful methods for accessing your digital camera under
Linux, as well as JAlbum, a great tool for building
Web-based photo albums.

  Downloading images from your camera: There are two ways to
access and download images from a digital camera under
Linux. Determining which method is best for your camera will
depend on the model of camera that you have. Some cameras
work with the first method, others with the second. The best
way to work out which method suits your hardware is simply
to indulge in a little trial and error. They're both free,
after all....

Read Full at:
http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;298681864;fp;2;fpi
d;37

******************************
Plextor PVRs Now Support Linux
******************************
FREMONT, Calif. - March 8, 2005- Plextor® Corp., a leading
developer and manufacturer of high-performance digital media
equipment, today announced the availability of a free Linux
Software Developers Kit (SDK) for ConvertX video capture
devices. For the first time, the Open Source Software (OSS)
community can enjoy the advanced features of Plextor
ConvertX PVRs, including real-time hardware-based MPEG-1,
MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and Motion JPEG video encoding in a low-cost
USB 2.0 video peripheral.

  Licensed under the GNU General Public License, the Linux
SDK supports the popular Video for Linux 2 (V4L2) and
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) specifications. It
also supports deprecated Open Sound System (OSS)
applications via the OSS compatibility layer provided by
ALSA. The new driver, which requires the Linux 2.6 kernel,
includes sample code that can be reused in open source or
proprietary applications to help developers get started
quickly.

Read Full at:
http://www.plextor.com/english/news/press/LinuxPVR_pr.htm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appeal from FSUG-Bangalore (about VTU)
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
VTU-FLOSS Campaign

  Vice chancellor, Visveswaraiah Technologies University,
Belagum, Karnataka.

  Dear Sir,
  There are thousands of engineering and polytechnic colleges
in India. Each year lakhs of graduates and diploma holders
earn their degree. They pay thousands of rupees as fees to
get the best facilities. A part of this goes to buying the
software's which they use either in college lab or for doing
assignments at home.For every software which they use; there
is alternate Free Software program available. Now this shows
the amount of money which we can be saved if we start using
Free Software. This will bring down cost education
considerably.

  Other than cost benefits, Free Software has other
advantages
  * No-fee licensing
  * Ease of license fee management
  * Better large-scale programmability
  * Easier integration
  * Better performance
  * Development convenience
  * Better support

  There are hundreds of Free Software's programs which
colleges or universities can adopt. As Vishweshwaraiah
Technological University is one of the biggest universities
in India, its time for VTU to moving towards using Free
Software. This will make other Universities to follow. Let
the VTU have pride to be the first. Here I am giving you an
example of three such alternative Free Software's which can
be used.

  * (1) Operating System: Windows v/s GNU/Linux
  I don't know what university generally recommends to
colleges. But presently almost all the colleges use
Microsoft Windows based operating system. We all know the
best available operating system today is GNU/Linux. It is
the best OS any educational institution can have. Students
can not only use it but also can study.

  * (2) Simulation: Matlab v/s Octave
  Matlab is used in communication and electronics lab. Matlab
for individual license for university (academic use) costs
$500. Any college will have to buy minimum 25 licenses.
Which means shelling out Rs.537500. Octave, which is
simulation software written by University professors. This
usually comes with the GNU/Linux Operating System. The
advantage to students is that they don't have to buy a
limited student version to use at home. They can use Octave
both at Lab and at home. SciLab? is another open source
competitor for Matlab. It uses sophisticated algorithms to
analyze data and produce lovely graphics. Now you have the
choice which one you want to include in your curriculum.

  * (3) Office software's: MS Office v/s Open Office
  Well, we all used Microsoft word to submit our project
documents for review and for other academic purposes. Now we
have Open Office which is as good as MS office and has some
feature Microsoft Office lacks like PDF support,
compatibility with older versions of Microsoft Office, HTML
editor, a vector drawing application .... It gives you
everything starting from word processor, presentation
software to PDF generator [Fully compatible with Microsoft
Office -- So already existing data in those formats can be
used]. Don't you think it's the right time to save money of
a poor student ?

  The above are just examples. There are many such software
programs from which the students can benefit. We hope the
university understands the urgency and the need. We would be
happy to give you any information/help if university needs.
Here by we urge the university to make an effort in this
direction.

  Thank you,
  Please sign this petition at:
  http://bangalore.gnu.org.in/?VTU-FLOSS_Campaign

:: Taken from Little League, posted by Frederick N (FN)  ::

???????????????????????????????????????
Some interesting links... freshmeat.net
???????????????????????????????????????

http://freshmeat.net/releases/190257/
DRBL 1.3.7-2 (Testing)
by Steven - Fri, Mar 11th 2005 03:13 PDT

About: Diskless Remote Boot in Linux (DRBL) provides a
diskless or systemless environment for client machines. It
works on Debian, Mandrake, Red Hat, and Fedora. Unlike LTSP,
it uses distributed hardware resources and makes it possible
for clients to fully access local hardware. It also includes
Clonezilla, a partitioning and disk cloning utility similar
to Symantec Ghost.

Changes: This version supports Fedora Core 3 x86_64. Instead
of apt, yum or urpmi are now the default maintaining and
updating program for Fedora Core 3 or Mandrake Linux 10.1,
respectively.

XXX

http://freshmeat.net/releases/190256/
Time Sheets 1.08
by web-tool - Fri, Mar 11th 2005 03:04 PDT

About: Time Sheets is an online employee time sheet and
attendance management program. The time sheet administrator
can setup time periods, and employees can login and enter
their work times online. All timesheets can be exported to
Excel for convenient printing and analysis. It is especially
valuable for a sales team or other employees that are on the
road or work in remote locations.

Changes: This release fixes some HTML format problems in the
main template and corrects some spelling errors.

XXX

http://freshmeat.net/releases/190247/
yawiki 1.0RC3
by mecky - Fri, Mar 11th 2005 02:54 PDT

About: yawiki is a wiki system strives to be a perfect place
for working together and sharing information. The syntax for
the wiki system is really simple to learn. Getting started
with a wiki system is easy. It features versioning of every
page, and the history can be viewed to restore old versions.
A page can be restricted so that it can only be edited by
users.
Every user can add pages to a personal list of bookmarks.
Different themes are supported. A search engine (Jakarta
Lucene) is integrated.

Changes: This is mainly a bugfix release. It also now
supports different themes. Each user can select an
individual theme in the user settings. The old theme has
been enhanced a bit and a new one is included as well. This
version now also supports a pluggable way to support
different render engines. The documentation describes how to
use a different renderer.

XXX

http://freshmeat.net/releases/190233/
Shell Script to Clone Linux System 20050311
by Swergar Tsang - Thu, Mar 10th 2005 21:46 PDT

About: Clone Linux System is a script that uses standard
Linux programs like dump, restore, stat, and parted to clone
and restore a Linux system. It supports ext2 and ext3
filesystems. RAID support is experimental. Changes: The full path of
grub-install/lilo is now used in
restore.sh. All partitions detected by parted are now
removed in partition.sh. RAID and non-RAID system dumps are
now implemented in different scripts. A bug where /tmp was
used to perform a restore by default despite it not always
having enough space was fixed. A problem with detecting
inodes incorrectly was corrected and minor bugfixes were
made.

Taken From:

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Events/Meetings this week @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

::: Planning a event/ holding a meeting regarding
gnu/linux, send me the info and the details at:
lintuxnews@gmail.com and it published in here :::

>> To change your delivery address, please send a email with
subject as "change address" with your current & new email id's as the
contents of the message.

3. GNU/Linux Users Group, Hubli
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linuxhubli

4. Freedom Computing, (Documentation Group for Gnu/Linux)
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/floss

Moderator's of various Gnu/Linux Groups are requested to
send in the URL of their groups so that it can be added in
here.

CopyLeft 2004, Nithin Kamath.
You are welcome to reproduce this newsletter (i.e. print it, store it) for
your own personal use. You are also welcome to forward it, in its
entirety, to friends and family.

This newsletter may contain links to sites on the Internet
which are owned and operated by third parties. I am not
responsible for the availability of, and/or the content
located on or through, any such third-party sites. All
Content may be © By their Creators