[Fsf-friends] MS' influence in academia

Nagarjuna G. nagarjun@gnowledge.org
Sat Mar 12 17:38:07 IST 2005

On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 11:52:19AM -0000, balachandran c wrote:
> I believe it is very important to step up the activities regarding FS
> advocacy in Universities and Schools. The "Unix culture" was born in
> the Universities, and it appears that MS is determined to kill it
> there. MS already offers gratis copies of its softwares in
> Universities. I am pretty sure that with higher broadband penetration,
> they will offer these "academic programmes" in Indian Schools too. I
> guess that they are not offering these "services" in India since they
> know that the kids will make illegal copies anyway, and they don't have
>  to pay the bandwidth costs. (Most likely, the Schools will be paying
> for the b/w costs). This is a very real threat.

The issues that you raised are very important.  Let us discuss how to
make FSF India's efforts more organized.  membership issue is soon
going to be launched.  We need full time workers for FSF.  FSF India
at the moment has none.  This needs resources to compensate the full
timers.

Assuming that there are resources, I want to ask the community: how
many of you are willing to work for FSF as full timers if proper
compensation is given, at various parts of the counry?  And howmany of
your are willing to work with full timers during your spare time?

Nagarjuna