[Fsf-friends] INDIA: Appeal from FSUG-Bangalore (about engineering studies)

Thejesh GN gnthej@gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 17:55:06 IST 2005

Hi All,
The petition is hosted at
http://bangalore.gnu.org.in/?VTU-FLOSS_Campaign
And at
http://www.techmag.biz/?q=node/66
You can find the copy attached to this mail.

Until now the total no of signatures is  44.

You can leave your signature at any point....ultimately both will be
merged to send it across to VC.

Thanks,
Thejesh GN

--------------------------------------------------------------PETITION----------------------------------
Vice chancellor,
Visveswaraiah Technologies University,
Belagum,
Karnataka.

Dear Sir,
There are thousands of engineering and polytechnic colleges in India.
Each year lakhs of graduates and diploma holders earn their degree.
They pay thousands of rupees as fees to get the best facilities. A
part of this goes to buying the software's which they use either in
college lab or for doing assignments at home. Well for every software
which they use; there is alternate open source software available. Now
this shows the amount of money which we can save if we start using
open source software's. This can make the education cost less.

Other than money the advantages of open source software are
--No-fee licensing
--Better large-scale programmability
--Easier integration
--Better performance
--Development convenience
--Intellectual propriety
--Better support

There are hundreds of open source software's which colleges or
universities can adapt. Considering Vishweshwaraiah Technological
University as one of the biggest in India, its time for VTU to move
towards open source. This will make other Universities to follow. Let
the VTU have pride to be the first.
Here I am giving you an example of three such software's which can be used.

(1) Operating System: Windows v/s GNU/Linux
I don't know what university generally recommends to colleges. But
presently all most all the colleges use windows based operating
system. We all know the best available operating system today is
Linux. It is the best OS any educational institution can have.
Students can not only use it but also can play.

(2) Simulation: Matlab v/s Octave
Matlab is used in communication and electronics lab. Matlab for
individual license for university (academic use) costs $500. Any
college will have to buy minimum 25 licenses. Which means shelling out
Rs.537500.
Octave, which is simulation software written by University professors.
This usually comes with the Linux distro. The advantage to students is
that they don't have to buy a limited student version to use at home.
They can use Octave both at Lab and at home.
SciLab is another open source competitor for Matlab. It uses
sophisticated algorithms to analyze data and produce lovely graphics.
Now you have the choice which one you want to include in your
curriculum.

(3) Office software's: MS Office v/s Open Office
well we all used Microsoft word to submit our project documents for
review and for other academic purposes. Now we have Open Office which
is as good as MS office. It gives you everything starting from
worprocessor, presentation software to PDF generator. Don't you think
it's the right time to save money of a poor student?

The above are just examples. There are many such from which the
students can benefit. We hope the university understands the urgency
and the need. We would be happy to give you any information/help if
university needs.
Here by we urge the university to make an effort in this direction.