[Fsf-friends] Urge Visveswaraiah Technologies University to go Open Source.

V. Sasi Kumar sasi.cess@gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 10:05:05 IST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 18:18 -0600, Thejesh GN wrote:

> You know how much important for an university to go open source. To
> force VTU to go open I am collecting the support online. Please sign
> the petition at
>
> http://www.techmag.biz/?q=node/66

Yours is a very noble effort. But I wish you had said free software
instead of open source. You have also forgotten to say that using free
software gives the University the freedom to give copies of the software
to its students so that they can run them on their own computers too.
Moreover, free software also gives the students the opportunity to study
the source code, written by some of the top programmers in the world,
and thus enhance their own capability. I wish you would make these
changes so that thousands of free software enthusiasts in this country
and abroad would gladly sign the petition.

Best
--
V. Sasi Kumar <sasi.cess@gmail.com>
Centre for Earth Science Studies