[Fsf-friends] Very inetresting plot by microsoft to target Free software enthusiasts

Praveen A pravi.a@gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 16:35:20 IST 2005

Hi all,

  This is about a Microsoft plan to find "focus group" (I dunno what
it means). This shows how Microsoft targets students with cds,
softwares,books....

It all started with a request from swroop ch (http://swaroopch.info )
with subject "Want to talk to Microsoft (India) about Linux?"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux-bangalore-non-tech/message/4789

It is very long thread but it is worth it.

It was about a meet organised by .Net group in Bangalore who invited
Swaroop for the meet saying they wanted to learn about FOSS. Then
someone from that group mails, Chitnis brings out the plot..... very
inetresting like a thriller (Even Chitnis traced the root to Microsoft
US !)

He told the guy who invited FSF/OSS people to participate in their meet.

But anyway, now that I have your attention - here is your first step
towards understanding this whole "Linux thing" that you are so curious
about:

When you ask the question, do you focus on "Linux"? Do you perceive it to
be a "product" that competes with "Windows"?

If so, you already took a wrong turn two crosses back.

Because what you see as a product is in reality a *by-product* of a
process. Free and Open Source Software is the result of a collaborative
development process that has existed for decades that was given a more
formal definition in 1984, and it is this *process* that really challenges
the whole existing software scenario (and, of course, people like
Microsoft :)

Once you understand *that*, then you are just a few steps away from
understanding the whole thing. We'll be glad to help.

Come on in - the water is great! :)
<<<<<<

--
            "There is no system but GNU, and Linux is one of its kernels."
A proud GNU user