[Fsf-friends] XFCE dropped from Fedora Core 4

Dilip V dilpu.v@gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 20:49:09 IST 2005

Hi Friends,

Xfce has been dropped from Fedora Core 4. According to Bill Nottingham
of Red Hat:
<notting@redhat com> who is on the 4 (or 5) man techincal commitee
that made the decision to drop Xfce:

> - XFCE: duplicate functionality with respect to GNOME, KDE, etc

(https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2005-February/msg01319.html)

I think if people are so concerned about the duplication of
functionality, then they should think about GNOME or KDE to drop,
since they're really "duplicate" in the sense that they both provide
full-featured, complete desktop environment and suite of applications.
Also both these require more than 150MB in package form. Xfce, in
contrast, aims to be lightweight and fast, and is only around 40MB in
package form. There is not duplicality in this ! .

When we had a small poll about the Desktop preferences in our college,
most of the people voted for XFCE, as it is having the good graphical
desktop environment. Also people from the Windowmaker environment can
also switch to xfce easily. Download and try out the new xfce 4.2 (40
MB) with the graphical installer from http://www.xfce.org.

Regards,
- -
Dilip V,