[Fsf-friends] Re: Patents / R&D

Anand Babu ab@gnu.org.in
Mon Mar 7 18:18:48 IST 2005

,----[ Sandip Bhattacharya <sandip@lug-delhi.org> ]
| On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 20:44 +0200, Praveen A wrote:
| > missing one important point in ur mail- Removal of patents may lead to
| > the end of Reasearch and Development in the world.If there are no
`----
I think this is a ridiculous argument. Instead it should be correctly
quoted as "Patents may lead to end of Research and Development".

In the last 8 years "free access to information", "open standards" and
"free software" has truly revolutionized the Research and Development
in various fields. Today we find scientists across the globe working
collaboratively, sharing their ideas and knowledge. This is very
crucial to the advancements in science and technology. Patents will
divide them all and kill the innovation.

Just take AIDS scenario and compare these two cases:
 1. Patent approach: Few scientists, Closed doors.
 2. Community approach: Scientists across the world, Collaborative.

Second case has a better probability of find the cure. Results of the
research will be open to all, there by making the medicine
affordable. Whole mankind will benefit.

--
Anand Babu
Free as in Freedom <www.gnu.org>