[Fsf-friends] Re: Very Important

Praveen A pravi.a@gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 20:44:28 IST 2005

See the bottom of the message to see a nice reply which looks  the
other side of the issue. My friend Amar got this reply from one of his
friends.

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 12:05:41 +0530, Praveen A <pravi.a@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> are donkeys and considering the fact that the low  literacy rate is
> one cause, it is all the more important that we, the previlaged
> minority, who enjoys the advatages of education  has a greater
> responsibilty.
> --
>
> PS: You might be wondering why this important issue is not discussed
> in the mass media or in the parliament.
>
> 1. Do you know that the ordinance was issued after 3 days of closing the session
> 2. It was issued hurriedly when the nation was facing the Tsunami
> disaster and all the media attenstion was there.
> 3. People think it is not their problem untill they face it personally.
>
> For more deatils see my bolg http://www.livejournal.com/~pravi and these posts
>
> 1. IS Rs. 29 = Rs. 2353 ? http://www.livejournal.com/users/pravi/11432.html
> 2.  Changing rules of patents http://www.livejournal.com/users/pravi/11699.html
> 3. Patent laws http://www.livejournal.com/users/pravi/11927.html and
> http://www.livejournal.com/users/pravi/12417.html
>
> We didn't consider the recommendations by the committes which we
> appointed to study patents and we are even giving more than what they
> asked for (loyal than the king) [even WTO did not ask for patenting of
> life forms and we are allowing evn that -- patenting of life forms
> like ameba, fungus ...]
>
> Countries like Brazil are aware of these issues and they framed the
> rule to protect their people. See the news report from BBC - Brazil to
> break Aids drug patents.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4059147.stm
>
> Our Government did not think of our people and they are selling the
> people of India for some Dollars. [See after this rule comes into
> place not only the poor but even the middle class cannot afford the
> medicines. The medical treatment is going to be available to only an
> elite minority.]
>
> It is already happened with Lukemia patients. Indian companies produce
> drugs for treatment of  Lukemia at Rs 99 a capule and 4 per day it
> amounts to Rs 12,000 per month. Many cannot afford that and now after
> the change in patent rule of 1995 [It increased the duration of
> patents from 7 to 20 years] an  MNC called Novartis filed a case in
> Chennai high court saying it has patent for its drug Gleevec. The
> Chennai high court stopped the production of drugs by Indian companies
> and now the only drug available for Lukemia patients is Gleevec of
> Novartis. And the cost -- Rs 1,25,000 only !!!!!
>
> We should not sit idle. It is time to act !!!!
>
> _______________________
> --
>             "There is no system but GNU, and Linux is one of its kernels."
> A proud GNU user
> http://www.gnu.org
> http://www.edathanattukara.com
> My Weblog at http://www.livejournal.com/users/pravi
> Visit me at http://www.pravi.tk
>  Rediscover the web ! Get firefox at http://www.getfirefox.com
>  Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments

 Hello Amar, its really nice cing a wonderful mail 4m u.i do
appreciate ur concern for the people of the thirld world.but u r
missing one important point in ur mail- Removal of patents may lead to
the end of Reasearch and Development in the world.If there are no
patents no firm will be trying to find out a medicine for AIDS or any
other diseases like that.In order to develop a product they need to
pour 100 s of crores for a span of 7-10 years,who is going to repay
their costs?? the only way to recover their costs is through patents!.
i am neither pro rich nor in support of life time patents.The only
point iam stressing is to find innovative ways to crack this
problem.Some of the ways i suggest is
1. Its better if these MNC's have tie ups will low cost destinations
like INDIA for their Reasearch activities, so that the cost of
development is much lesser, so that they can recover their expenses
within less duration resulting in reduction of Patenting period.
2.The other best way is the government should take the reponsibilty of
bearing the expenses of reasearch, but it may sometimes reflect in
increase of taxes.
3.The other way is the firms doing research may float some bonds
relating to that particular product and the persons possesing those
bonds are eligible for some concessions while purchasing those
products in addition to that the bond holders becomes life time
partners as far as that particular product is concerned. This may give
rise to some accounting difficulties.
4.The other way is the health insurance permium is made a bit high and
it should be made compulsory for all these health insurance firms to
invest in research of life saving medicines. But in such cases if
there is any failures in the results of the research, the insurance
firms may be bancrupt and governments should come for their rescue.
5. The other better way is on the same lines of WTO and IMF we do have
World Research form where the scientists were employed from all over
the world.As far as funding is concerned its better if IMF gives them
loans. In case of any failure in Research their loans should be waved
off, here comes the actual problem like who is going to bear their
losses.
6.All the above things that are suggested cannot be implemented
immediately, the immediate measures that can be taken are better we
have a global agency which estimates the patenting period,there should
be some clauses in the patenting rule in order to reduce the cost of
some life saving medicines,the goverment should subsidise the cost of
medicines as it is subsidising kerosene,gas..etc., the amout that is
spent through subsidy should be recovered by haing some cess on
Pubs,Bars,Cigarettes,Liquor,Brand launch events,Special events like
New year celebrations,start Casions at some tourist destinations that
to only for  foreigners and people who earns above one lakh per month.
Dear Amar iam very sorry if i had hurt any of ur feelings, the mail u
had sent is totally biased, now the current mail has both sides of
coin, better u start a blog on this issue and try to have debate among
so called educated people so, that v can have better ideas, better
views and better solutions.