[Fsf-friends] Re: [Ilugc] Tamil Nadu, +1 Syllabus, GNU/Linux

Ramanraj K ramanraj.k@gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 21:06:00 IST 2005

  Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 03:03:01PM +0530, Joe Steeve wrote:
>
>> For now, it should be atleast `GNU/Linux` instead of `Linux`. I
>> think, FSF-TN should be working with the governmental departments
>> with this.
>
> Oh, so you want to get a law passed making people say GNU/Linux?

Copyright Law gives the author(s) the right to due credit and honour in
respect of their works, and no other special law is necessary to get it
enforced.  AFAIK, FSF and RMS merely *request* that the GNU/Linux
Operating System be called by that name. (see:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/linux-gnu-freedom.html )

But in schools, the issue could become a yes/no question like: "Is it
correct to call the Gnu/Linux Operating System as Linux ?" and getting
it wrong means losing marks ;)

Substantially, the inclusion of free software in the curriculum will
result in significant gains for the teachers and students.

Our Supreme Court recently said: "An educational institution runs
smoothly when the teacher and the taught are engaged in the common ideal
of pursuit of knowledge."

It is needless to point out that Free Software helps to the utmost
extent possible in the pursuit of knowledge.  Free Software philosophy
have also brought in a sea of change, the way curriculums are designed
and taught, the world over, and we are no exception.  The change to free
software based on open standards is not by accident, but due to the
efforts of RMS and several thousands of volunteers world wide, who
deeply desired this change and made contributions for the better.