[Fsf-friends] OpenOffice

Ankit Malik ankitmalik@gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 14:44:15 IST 2005

quoting a comment @ osnews.com RE OO.o

" (IP: ---.ph.ph.cox.net) - Posted on 2005-03-05 22:23:51
"Fedora Core 4 is trying to make a free JRE based off of gcj and they
claim to have Openoffice.org compiling with gcj now too."

Is this true or did you just make this up? I'm not questioning you,
but it just sounds too good to be true.

I really wonder about the licensing issues regarding OO.o. Unless Red
Hat includes proprietary Java stuff into Fedora (which we know they
won't), OO.o will be crippled. This goes true most (not all) other
Linux distros, but not Sun's.
Wait a minute, it wouldn't apply to Solaris either.

Hmmm, using an open source killer app to leverage increasing market
share for your proprietary product, and locking out the competition. I
wonder if this is Sun's strategy.

I hope an open source, unencumbered implementation of Java is workable soon."