[Fsf-friends] OpenOffice

Nagarjuna G. nagarjun@gnowledge.org
Sat Mar 5 09:42:46 IST 2005

On Saturday 05 Mar 2005 1:24 am, Ankit Malik wrote:
> OpenOffice is often touted as the completely free office suite
> [correct me if i am wrong].
>
> But isn't OO based on JAVA? And Java is not free by FSF standards.
>
> So what abt OO???

Java is not required for OO.  Some features require Java.  The
following FAQ provides an asnwer.  I dont want those features of OO
till I find a freesoftware solution. Period. So I dont install JVM.

Nagarjuna

-----------------------
Source: http://www.bytebot.net/openoffice/faq.html#Installation1

2.2. What is Java needed for?
    Java is required for some portions of the application to work
properly - XSLT reliant materials, such as DocBook document creation
is dependant on having a working Java Runtime Environment. To have a
full-featured OpenOffice.org, the Java Runtime Environment should be
installed before the OpenOffice.org package is installed; however, if
it is installed afterwards, running jvmsetup will do the trick.

    If you have downloaded the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and
choose to upgrade to using the Software Development Kit (SDK), runing
jvmsetup again to point to the "new" version of Java is what you need
to do.

    It has been known that some versions of Java do not necessarily
work with Linux, especially some from the Blackdown archives (for
Debian users). It is probably wise to keep up with what Sun
distributes, and get it from the Sun website. A full list of missing
features include:

        * usage of JDBC drivers
        * XSLT and small device filters
        * usage of Java applets within OpenOffice.org
        * lack of Java based languages in the scripting framework
        * the database report wizard
        * the flat file filter
        * all of the Java related test-tools and qaTestDev (for QA
work)
        * accessibility features