[Fsf-friends] Something About SLYNUX

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil@sancharnet.in
Thu Mar 3 11:20:52 IST 2005

Sarath Lakshman said on Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 04:29:15AM -0800,:

 > for  the first time.  I myself  installed it?then  I was  a windows
 > user.

You mean  that you  were using Microsoft  Windows, don't  you?? Please
recall that knoppix, and AFAIK, SLYLINUX have windowing systems, which
display Windows on the screen.

Sarath, it  is a very bad, bad  world out there. Please  be very, very
accurate in use of terminology. It is very, very, very important.

 > First of  all ? My attraction was  captured on it?s GUI.  I felt it
 > was nice.  I didn?t know any  shell comments or  other functions in
 > Gnu/Linux that time. My only  tool was mouse pointer?like windows I
 > used it.

(big snip)

 > my friends.   They used it for 5  or 6 days and  said ??What Linux?
 > Even we can?t use it friendly..No one didn?t understand the program
 > names.?

Ah. You and  your friends came to opposing  conclusions about the same
interface?  That  is  natural.  `User  friendliness' is  a  matter  of
personal taste.

 > I decided to make a user  favourable Remaster of Knoppix with a lot
 > of features.

Certainly you  are welcome. But,  please do join  some of the  live CD
projects. Tell them what changes you made to the Knoppix CD.

 > commands?.. For creating SLYNUX, I had spent most of
 > night ( about to 3.30 A.M) for months for getting my
 > effort to a success?.In some days of a little bit
 > success?I had jumped with glad.
 >
 > ? Advanced users of Linux will not understand the
 > problems faced by common windows users who tried out
 > Linux and disappointed?.Because they have a wide
 > possibility of getting info abt Linux ( Through LUGs,
 > FSF community etc).

Eeek!!!!  Every body,  including you  (and of  course me)  started the
same, hard  way. Long sleepless  nights, hard work,  several installs,
reinstalls, system crashes, misconfigurations,  etc. I do believe that
advanced  users,  *and*  programmers  do  understand  ordinary  users'
problems.

Have a look at http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-user-groups.html

Also, see http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/User-Group-HOWTO.html, and in
particular, http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/User-Group-HOWTO-7.html#ss7.3

 > I?m now studying 10th Standard (SCERT syllabus)?.After
 > my Exams I could spend more time on Linux.

Heavens, my dear!!! It is March, and your exams are toward end of this
month, no??? Please do complete that.

--
         Mahesh T. Pai    <<>>   http://paivakil.port5.com
>From The Devil's Dictionary (1881-1906) [devil]:
  LAWYER, n.  One skilled in circumvention of the law.