[Fsf-friends] Something About SLYNUX

Sarath Lakshman sarathlakshman@yahoo.com
Wed Mar 2 04:29:15 IST 2005

Dear Friends,

I got so many appreciative and some opposive mails
about My SLYNUX ( Remaster of knoppix).
Among them, I got some mails from FSF people. They
claimed that ‘There is nothing new in SLYNUX when
compared to knoppix’ . Partially I also agree with the
statement….But  everyone should understand the reason
and themes behind SLYNUX….It’s target is not new
markets..like MS.

I never claimed   that I have made an OS. Actually,
the thing behind SLYNUX is:
I am very much interested in GNU/Linux. It was  my
first experience before 1 year I tried out Redhat 7
for the first time. I myself installed it…then I was a
windows user. First of all – My attraction was
captured on it’s GUI. I felt it was nice. I didn’t
know any shell comments or other functions in
Gnu/Linux that time. My only tool was mouse
pointer…like windows I used it. At that time I thought
that all windows program can b executed in Linux. Also
thought that Fat32 FS will not work in GNU/Linux.
After 2 days I tried to remove Redhat..because I
disappointed abt that ‘I can’t use Linux for my use’.
There was no mp3 support and no video player in it. So
I left Linux OS. I removed the installed boot loader
(GRUB) by over writing it with re-installing windows.
This experience…resulted me in search of a user
friendly Linux. At that time I didn’t have an internet
connection. So there were limitations for collecting
knowledge about Linux.

One of the FSF friends reviewed about
‘www.slcreations.g3z.com’ (U will get this link from
www.slynux.co.nr) that the content in that site is
invalid and foolish. Actually that site was created by
me when I was in 8th Standard…when I was a newbie in
Computer field. (I was wanted to know how websites are
created. So using some templates I created the website
and wrote funny and foolish things in that site. Some
sentences. like ‘SL e- Periodic table came in to the
market.) I have developed a software called E –
Periodic Table…But it was freeware and never came to
the market..At the time I created this html page..I
didn’t know what is FSF and didn’t heard about it.

In my locality (Mahe; Near Tellicherry) No one used
Linux and any one didn’t know something about Linux or
FS in my knowledge. Some of them heard about ‘Linux’.
That’s all.
Some of the computer shops had Redhat. And they
thought that there is only one Linux – Redhat.
Before 11 months I got Knoppix 3.1 from a man studying
in engg college (In Yanam). I became much interested
in knoppix and tried out. I gave copies of knoppix to
my friends. They used it for 5 or 6 days and said
–“What Linux? Even we can’t use it friendly..No one
didn’t understand the program names.”

          I gave awareness to my friends about
Linux….They became bored about hearing my philosophy.
After getting internet connection, I came to know more
about Linux and Knoppix.
I decided to make a user favourable Remaster of
Knoppix with a lot of features. I tried to learn shell
commands….. For creating SLYNUX, I had spent most of
night ( about to 3.30 A.M) for months for getting my
effort to a success….In some days of a little bit
success…I had jumped with glad.

“ Advanced users of Linux will not understand the
problems faced by common windows users who tried out
Linux and disappointed….Because they have a wide
possibility of getting info abt Linux ( Through LUGs,
FSF community etc). But common users are left
non-techy..and they will not spend the time for
experimentation in Linux to learn it. I know it from
experience” (especially People in Mahe).
I am sure that more and more people can switch to
Linux easily using SLYNUX. ( I recommend SLYNUX only
for beginners). Common People can also install SLYNUX
easily through some clicks…

I have now lots of ideas to make SLYNUX more and more
user friendly…I have some ideas to develop  a distro
from scratch independly from knoppix..(using a
different compression method)  as someone commented
that SLYNUX cannot be considered as a distro)…

I have only a 14.4 kbps internet….(phone bills..r not
affordable now a days)

I have some plans to create an LUG in Mahe. Hope that
FSF will help me..
I  request FSF friends to continue sending opinions
about ‘SYNUX’ or give advices to make it better.. What
Changes I have to make in SLYNUX Website?
(www.slynux.co.nr)
I’m now studying 10th Standard (SCERT syllabus)….After
my Exams I could spend more time on Linux.

---------------MY ULTIMATE AIM IS TO FAMILIARISE

Regards:-
SarathLakshman