[Fsf-friends] SLYNUX - Gaining Cheap Popularity

NS Srikanth srikanth.ns@gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 18:13:20 IST 2005

> From: Krishna Pagadala <krishnaact@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Fsf-friends] SLYNUX  - Gaining Cheap Popularity
> To: Principal Support List of FSF-India <fsf-friends@mm.gnu.org.in>
>
> Most of the reporters are clueless about computers,
> and come to interview Sarath just because it makes a
> "good" news item. I dont think they have any interest
> presenting the issue well.
>
> If anybody wants to understand the media, please
> watch/read Manufacturing Consent.
> http://chomskytorrents.org/TorrentDetails.php?TorrentID=32

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0375714499/qid=1119972544/sr=8
-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-2201387-8431267?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

> As for trademark infringement, please cut Sarath some
> slack. Do we want to live in permission culture or in
> free culture? http://www.free-culture.cc/

Yes, I'll second that. We all must remember that Sarath is in his teens and
in his enthusiasm ( or due to TV publicity)  must have overstepped some
aspects. As another poster  posted, it can be softly pointed out and right
way can be pointed out. Then we may have a prodigy in our midst.

> Regarding renaming xmms to linamp, again do we want to
> take permission from the powers that be every time? Is
> it a world worth striving for? living in?
>
> I think Sarath has all the rights to do what he has
> done.
>
> And regarding the nonsense of piracy, please read
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Piracy
>
> -Krishna

Really enlightening !

NS Srikanth