[Fsf-friends] SLYNUX - Gaining Cheap Popularity

Raman.P raamanp@yahoo.co.in
Wed Jun 29 10:40:11 IST 2005

--- Laxminarayan Kamath <kamathln@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/28/05, Krishna Pagadala <krishnaact@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Regarding renaming xmms to linamp, again do we want to
> > take permission from the powers that be every time? Is
> > it a world worth striving for? living in?
> I strongly second that. Just check out Linspire and see how many
> things they have just renamed!
>
> > I think Sarath has all the rights to do what he has
> > done.

Renaming, though freedom may exists is not good. By renaming we are
trying to take away the credit from the orginal developers.

If this logic is to be accepted then, FSF should not object to
GNU/Linux being called Linux or whatever else.

Should the Free Sofware be just copies of Popular proprietory tools,
that too in names? Why can't we exist on our own, with our own names?

Raman.P