[Fsf-friends] SLYNUX - Gaining Cheap Popularity

Dileep M. Kumar dileep@gmx.net
Tue Jun 28 10:35:16 IST 2005

Hello GNUHeads,

I just saw a program (samakalikam) in Kairali TV. They were showing
Sharat Lakshman and his newly developed OS "SLYNUX". I hope you all also
read this mail.. Sharat.

We had lot of discussions on this topic some months back. At last Sharat
himself told us that he just remastered knoppix
(http://mm.gnu.org.in/pipermail/fsf-friends/2005-January/002756.html).
But right from the news in Hindu, he claims that he build an OS based on
linux and it is user-friendly like Windows. This is making false
impression in majority of public (who are non-IT people).

In TV program he was telling that he renamed xmms to linamp and gaim to
slynux messenger so that people who come from windows world understand
easily. Does these products allow to change their name like this. Also
names like My computer, My documents are trademark of Microsoft, IAC. He
uses these terms to make SLYNUX mimic like windows. These are trademark
infringement.
His new site www.slynux.co.nr has proofs (screenshots) to support this.

He now invite the community to join the slynux development. This can put
others also in danger.

What is your goal, sharat ? If you want to advocate the advantage of FS,
this is not a good way, IMO. Hackers from different part of the world
work hard to achieve this goal, join them. See distros like Mandrake,
Fedora, Ubuntu ...

Just renaming the efforts of those hackers and gaining cheap popularity
is bad. May be you are too young to understand this. Atleast your
parents (or the people who support you) should understand this. You are
really insulting the hackers who build knoppix and other GNU tools
bundled with it.

If you are a real hacker, join with savannah or similar group of
hackers.

Regards
Dileep M. Kumar || dileep AT kumarayil DOT net || www.kumarayil.net
Our future depends on our philosophy - Richard M Stallman
No Software Patents:
http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/en/m/intro/index.html