[Fsf-friends] Inclusion of CC Licenses in the Indian Jurisdiction

Ramanraj K ramanraj.k@gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 07:10:38 IST 2005

On 6/14/05, Toufeeq Hussain <toufeeqh@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>         My employer is interested in the usage of the Creative Commons License
> for *some* Official documents.However on the CC homepage
> [http://creativecommons.org] there is no jurisdiction available for India.
>
>         Is a jurisdiction planned for India, when will it be legally accepted
> in India?
>
>         Currently I have to choose "Generic" while selecting a CC based
> License.Does this "Generic" jurisdiction hold true for India?
>
>         Are any of the CC Licenses recognized by the Indian Penal Code and can
> they be upheld as a valid document in an Indian court of Law.
>
> It would be of much help if someone can clear up my above mentioned doubts.

Hi Toufeeq!

Lawrence Liang is the lead for CC in India, and I am forwarding this
mail to him so that he may attend to your query.  Meanwhile, afaik, it
is best to choose a generic cc license, as the core ingredients of
copyrights are governed by international treaties TRIPS and the Berne
Convention and therefore there is much uniformity in most countries.
And again, afaik,  the non-generic parts of a copyright license such
as those relating to "implied warranties", are not connected with
copyrights, and including terms about it is needless and pointless.
HTH.

Regards,
Ramanraj.