[Fsf-friends] Inviting you to join in Software Freedom Day, September 10, 2005

Frederick Noronha (FN) fred@bytesforall.org
Thu Jun 9 14:12:47 IST 2005

We would like to invite you and your user group to join this network of
grassroot marketing for Free/Libre and Open Source Software! Looking forward
to having you with us on September 10, 2005 in whatever way you would like
to mark the event! -FN (Frederick Noronha)

Introducing Software Freedom Day 2005!

    Mark September 10th 2005 on your calendar! It is the second annual
    Software Freedom Day. We will be staging a range of events around the
    world to raise public awareness of Free and Open Source Software.

    This is a global grassroots effort, and we invite the Free and Open
    Source Software community around the world to join in the celebration and
    help spread the word! Over 70 teams joined the celebration in 2004,
    organising a range of events at schools, universities and public places.
    This year, we have every opportunity to grow and make an even greater
    impact on community awareness.

   What will happen?

    You may celebrate the day locally however you would like, but we
    encourage you to engage in some sort of outreach activity to spread the
    FOSS message in your community. For example, you could organise a seminar
    or an installfest or simply invite people to meet up in the park for a
    picnic.

    If you want to participate, please stop by the SFD website
    (http://softwarefreedomday.org/) and register a team so that others in
    your area can find you and hook up. Our website and wiki have pictures
    and reports from some of the SFD2004 events, so you can get an idea of
    what worked well. If you participated last year, please join us again,
    and please share your experiences with the new teams.

   How does it work?

    As last year, we will prepare special promotional materials for
    distribution by the SFD teams.  In 2004 this included ISO images of a
    custom version of TheOpenCD and a custom version of Knoppix along with
    some printed materials. Due to our budget constraints we were only able
    to produce CD covers while the local teams did a great job of burning
    their own CDs and copying materials.

    This year we have funding for up to 15.000 of our custom CDs shipped out
    to 150 teams world-wide. Be sure to sign up
    (http://softwarefreedomday.org/) for supplies before the July 1st
    deadline! In addition, other supplies (such as t-shirts and balloons)
    will be available, but the quantities and distribution process of these
    items is not yet determined.

   What can I do?

    The best way to participate is to start forming a SFD team and make sure
    you register with us
    http://softwarefreedomday.org/index.php?option=com_mosforms&mosform=1&Itemid=50
    and apply for sponsorship (http://softwarefreedomday.org/). We also need
    help with lots of things on the global level:

      * Writing

           * We would appreciate well-written articles about SFD or about
             FOSS in general that can be submitted to local media or
             distributed on the day. Form letters that can be sent to
             schools, businesses government organisation, etc. will also be
             useful.

      * Material Design

           * We have some artwork already, but we need designs for the
             SFD2005 CD labels and covers, as well as T-shirts, balloons,
             stickers, or even temporary tattoos! If you or your friends have
             some artistic inclinations feel free to pop into the SFD Forums
             (http://softwarefreedomday.org/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=47)
             to share your ideas and your work.

      * Donations:

           * SFD funds cover the costs of material and logistics support that
             we provide. Any surplus funds can be used for advertising in the
             week before the event. You can Donate Online
             http://softwarefreedomday.org/index.php?option=com_static&static
 	    file=donate.html&Itemid=51 if you would like.

    http://maitri.ubuntu.com/softwarefreedomday/wiki/index.php/LaunchDoc