[Fsf-friends] Mumbai Free Map

Shekhar Krishnan shekhar@crit.org.in
Mon Jun 6 06:58:36 IST 2005

Dear Kanti:

I have put together some links which may be of interest to those in the
free software community who are also concerned with free maps. To start
with, see the official press note on the new map policy approved by the
Cabinet:

http://pib.nic.in/release/release.asp?relid=9388

S&T Minister Kapil Sibal's recent responses in Parliament on related
questions

http://dst.gov.in/doc/parliament_question/ls/lu3461.htm
http://dst.gov.in/doc/parliament_question/rs/rs27.htm

An interview with him on the new map policy:

http://www.gisdevelopment.net/magazine/years/2004/sept/interview.htm

See also related article from Hindu Business Line at

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2005/05/21/stories/
2005052102420300.htm

This article gives the best outline I have so far found of the
restrictions on civilian map production in India, though it is now
outdated in light of the removal of the aerial photography ban and the
revision of the map policy:

http://www.gisdevelopment.net/policy/india/technology/intech018.htm

Here in the U.K., where I am visiting with some friends who work with
GIS, there are some interesting debates on open geo-data organised by a
group of hackers and policy advocates sponsored by the Open Knowledge
Foundation

http://okfn.org/geo
http://okfn.org/wiki/OpenGeoData

Best,