[Fsf-friends] Mumbai Free Map

Shekhar Krishnan shekhar@crit.org.in
Sat Jun 4 06:31:36 IST 2005

Dear All:

Please see the latest demo of the Mumbai Free Map on
http://freemap.crit.org.in

This now contains detailed vector layers for roads, railways, buildings
and plots, projected onto a satellite composite image of the city. The
data has been sourced from existing municipal development plans,
surveys, and maps, which we have scanned, traced and stitched together
with our archive of project materials at CRIT.

This project has been developed using completely free and open source
software (Map Server, GRASS, QGIS) and copyleft and public geographic
data.

The project web page is on http://www.crit.org.in/projects/gis and we
welcome comments and feedback on it as we begin developing an interface
by which to annotate the maps and develop this as an open source and
interactive archive and community information infrastructure.

Regards,

S.K.
_____

Shekhar Krishnan
CRIT (Collective Research Initiatives Trust)
B-43, Shravasti
Goregaon-Malad Link Road
Malad (West), Mumbai 400064
India