[Fsf-friends] Anti patents day for drugs

Frederick Noronha (FN) fred@bytesforall.org
Mon Feb 21 15:38:13 IST 2005

Shouldn't we be joining such initiatives? FN

Vidyadhar Gadgil reminds us of a protest in Panjim to mark Anti-Patents Day
for Drugs. The Indian Patent (Amendment) Bill is likely to be passed in the
Parliament in March 2005. However, it is seen as draconian, since it would
cause prices of essential medicines to go out of reach of common man.

A Global Campaign has been launched around the world against this Indian
Patent (Amendment) Bill. February 26, 2005 (Saturday) is going to be
observed as the Anti Patents Day for Drugs.

On this day, the world over, rallies, campaigns, etc., are being
organized. Here, in Goa, a peopleÿs protest rally has been organized by
Positive People in Panjim on 26th February 2005 starting at the Panjim
Church steps at 10.a.m. The rally will move through the city and
culminate at Azad Maidan after which a delegation will be forwarding a
memorandum to the Chief Minister of Goa.

We call upon all of you to join us at the rally, and protest against the
Patent Amendment Bill.

Yours in Solidarity

Positive People.

Convener: Raj Vaidya Co-Conveners: Reggie Gomes & Cynthia Andrade
Frederick Noronha (FN)                    Nr Convent Saligao 403511 GoaIndia
Freelance Journalist                      P: 832-2409490 M: 9822122436
http://fn.swiki.net                       http://fn-floss.notlong.com