[Fsf-friends] Project Resource Centre...

Frederick Noronha (FN) fred@bytesforall.org
Sat Feb 19 15:05:12 IST 2005

  PRC: THE 'EXCHANGE' FOR IDEAS ON FREE SOFTWARE PROJECTS

  The PRC was set up by Trevor Warren <trevor.w@media.mit.edu> of Mumbai,
  India. It is open to anyone in any part of the globe, though we would like
  to primarily focus on initiatives within India. We specially welcome
  mentors from anywhere in the globe, who would like to share their knowledge
  with promising youngsters from here.

  Any member of PRC is welcome to post to the list. Subject to:

  o Please keep all posts on-topic and related to the intentions for which
  this initiative was set up (helping youngsters take on socially relevant,
  challenging and useful projects).

  o Post messages that would be of wider interest to the entire group.  If
  you message is meant just for 3-4 persons, it could be taken offline. o
  Mentors are specially requested to post those messages that would (i) point
  to wider spheres in which a lot of work needs to be done (ii) post general
  hints that could give students the starting push

  This list works on the principles of Free/Libre and Open Source Software.
  Everyone is welcome to join, in the capacity you think best.  All work is
  volunteer-based. Thank you for your support.

  Below is a brief explanation of the concept, from Trevor Warren: "Having
  been with the Free Software Community for such a long time there a lot i
  like about it and a lot I would like to see done about... The Project
  Resource Centre is a non-profit organisation that has been an effort
  kickstarted by the GNU/Linux users group of Mumbai... The people
  affialiated with us are those who can take time out to guide students on
  their way towards taking on and performing GNU/Linux based projects frm the
  stage of conception to delivery."

  We would like to appreciate the work of Himanshu Shukla
  (www.thefreespeech.org) for being instrumental in sparking off the course
  towards setting up the PRC. Dr G Nagarjuna has been an inspiring force. We
  have got enthusiastic support from Sarai.Net in Delhi, which hosts our
  lists and is also working on a micro-grants to support Free Software
  initiatives among students. Also thanks to Dinesh Shah, Shankar
  Ramachandran, and the many others who have helped this concept along the
  way. [Please include the names of others here.]

  Says Trevor: "From my vision i want to get the PRC to be a platform where
  in mentors-students democratically take up projects nd work together
  towards delivering on GNU/Linux and other Free Software projects that they
  might hav in mind." CopyLeft 2003, Frederick Noronha for the GNU/PRC
  mailing list.

  ( >-   /  Scaling FreeSoftware & OpenSource \  -< )
  /~\   /           In the Enterprise          \  /~\
  |  \) \ | www.fsf.org | www.opensource.org | / (/ |