[Fsf-friends] Re: Swatantra - The cluster demo went gr8

Anand Babu ab@gnu.org.in
Wed Feb 16 06:25:43 IST 2005

,----[ Javed Rahman <s.kaniff@gmail.com> ]
| Hi anand,
| Javed here.. Remember me??? i called u to check out my cluster here
| at Swatantra.. The demo went great.. Thanx for ur help.. The Ganglia
| test seemed to satisfy everyone.. Remember that Debian machine i
| told you about?? The one we couldnt get the x server running..  Can
| u send me some documentation on how to install and run the x server
| on debian..  i tried searching the internet but couldnt find
| anything..
| Thanx...
| Javed
`----
Hi Javeed,
Sorry, I am still trying to catch up with my huge email backlog. I
choosing emails randomly and replying.

I am glad to hear that your Cluster demo went well.

There are many ways to configure XFree86 under Debian GNU/Linux.

Before you start X configuration, do this to make hardware probing
smooth.
  # apt-get install mdetect read-edid discover

Easiest method is dpkg-reconfigure approach

  # dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

Or xf86cfg method

# xf86cfg
# cp XF86Config /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
# ln -sf /dev/psaux /dev/mouse

I usually edit the screen section by hand to look like this
Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Device		"Generic Video Card"
	Monitor		"Generic Monitor"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1024x768"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

If nothing works, lspci will tell you what VGA card you have. Post me
the output of 'lspci -v'.

Newer Debian Sarge installers does a fairly good job in detecting
hardware.

--
Anand Babu
Free as in Freedom <www.gnu.org>