[Fsf-friends] 13 year-old gets presenters' slot at linux.conf.au

Anurag anurag@hbcse.tifr.res.in
Sat Feb 5 15:11:05 IST 2005

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 20:59:14 +0530, "Arjun Asthana"
<arjunasthana@gmx.net> said:
> I dont understand why only Europeans and Americans make news. Is the India
> media not good enough? For example, take Sarath Laxman (the boy who created
> his own distro.). He was not able to make it to any of the popular newspaper
> (atleast in Delhi) even after having done such a wonderful job. Then, I (and
> most probably he too) knew more than that girl when I (we) was (were) 13 yrs
> old. At that age (last June), I wrote a script to create boot floppy using
> busybox. I also had a demoers slot at GNU/Linux Demo Day 2k4. Where the hell
> is the Indian media? It didn't even publish anything about the GNU/Linux  events.

I believe that indian media is not very tech savvy. Bigger media
houses have a separate wing that covers technology related news. BBC
World for example broadcasts a programme "Click Online" which covers
technology stories and events from world over.
http://bbcworld.com/clickonline

Anurag