[Fsf-friends] Go to schools -- the need of the hour

Praveen A pravi.a@gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 08:47:11 IST 2005

Hi all,

   I have got a chance to train the teachers of the nearby [NIT
Calicut, where I'm doing Btech] higher secondary school  for IT @
school as part of NSS programme. In Kerala we have succeeded in
including the GNU/Linux as an alternative to M$ non-free OS, but the
most schools stick to Window$ because they didn't get any training in
the free OS. Yeasterday I showed them the Redhat's GNU system, they
were seeing it for the first time
[http://www.livejournal.com/users/pravi/7566.html]. They found it very
interesting and they found it as easy as Window$.

 It is very important that they get a chance to use the free
alternative. If it is already in the curriculam then they won the
first step [those who want it can use it]. If it is not there then
your primary goal should be to get it included as part of the
curriculam. The next step is to make sure they get to know how to use
it, confidently.

Other thing is to let the students know that there is an alternative
exists which don't keep them divided and helpless.
More on my experience on my blog
http://www.livejournal.com/users/pravi/5152.html

So the students, especially the school studets should be our primary
target to have a free (as in freedom) future......

Regards
Praveen A
8th Semester Btech EEE
NIT Calicut

--
            "There is no system but GNU, and Linux is one of its kernels."
A proud GNU user