[Fsf-friends] Skype for Linux and Mac OS X released

Praveen A pravi.a@gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 17:08:08 IST 2005

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/68901/skype-for-linux-and-mac-os-x-released.html

Skype for Linux and Mac OS X released

Luxembourg based, free internet telephony company Skype has introduced
versions of its VoIP software for the Mac OS X and Linux platforms.

Amongst the other features included in the free download are a global
contact directory, cross platform instant messaging, file transfer and
end to end encryption.

`We encourage all Mac OS X and Linux users to experience the cost and
quality gains with version 1.0 Skype software,` said Niklas Zennstrom,
Skype CEO and co-founder.

`We will remain committed to innovation and will continue to expand
platform choice.` Zennstrom along with partner Janus Friis were also
the driving force behind the p2p network Kazaa.

The widespread adoption of broadband and the prospect of being able to
call almost anywhere in the world for almost nothing has led to the
boom in VoIP products. Although initially seen as a toy for geeks,
some of the world's biggest companies now realise that they can slash
the cost of telecoms with cheap VoIP systems. Even some of the world's
biggest telcos like BT are realising that internet telephony is the
future and is planning to rollout voIP services over the coming years.

The company claims to have more than 23 million registered users, and
says it is signing up more than 130,000 new users per day.
You can download the software from the Skype site.

http://www.skype.com/

--
            "There is no system but GNU, and Linux is one of its kernels."
A proud GNU user