[Fsf-friends] Some economic aspects of FOSS

Raman.P raamanp@yahoo.co.in
Tue Feb 1 02:40:46 IST 2005

 --- Praveen A <pravi.a@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yesterday we had discussions about the FOSS model and its various
> aspects. Tojin analysed the economic aspect and he says
>

> ---
>
> There are so many people working in the proprietary software
> industry
> and if there is only FOSS out there so many people are gonna lose
> jobs. Now both proprietary and free software needs service and so
> the
> effects cancels. The jobs of developers will not be there and the
> economy suffers. He argues that only if the money changes hands the
> country benifits. Also he thinks it is sinister about the way
> GNU/Linux is distributed, he says it has made so complx that they
> need
> to go to experts everytime.

People in computer field have no right to talk about jobs. If this
logic is backported to pre-computer era, we should not have had
computers at all. After all computers have taken off millions of jobs
in one form. But see the overall effects of computers, there is net
increase in the econmic activity in the world.

Other aspect of economics is that when the cost comes down, usage
grows, thus spurring service industry which will compensate the so
called job loss.

Raman.P