[Fsf-friends] Will IP, Copyright, Outsourcing, Economy force next FOSS revolution in India?

Thejesh GN gnthej@gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 06:35:06 IST 2005

The FOSS revolution started in North America, and then it reached Europe
where it blossomed with Linux. Next one probably may happen in India. Why do
I think so?

(1) *IP issues:* It happened with the drugs/medicine. When
IP/Copyright/Patent became very stringent in USA/Europe it started a
drug/bio industry in India. This stared producing much cheaper drugs
compared to western countries. Most of the third world countries are
dependent on India for medicine.

This can happen in FOSS world too. With more liberal copyright/patent laws
in India; programmers in India can code without thinking about what patents
they will be infringing. This may force many FOSS startups/hosts in India.
This is a major support for FOSS based industries in India.

(2) *Outsourcing:* With the outsourcing along with the employment knowledge
is also flowing into India. India has more software engineers than any other
country now. (I remember reading Bangalore (India) surpassing Silicon City
(USA) in numbers.). This knowledge flow may help in FOSS development. (I
remember reading most of the open source developers have regular 9-5 job).

(3) *Economy:* The growing economy of India may force people to experiment
in various fields for example FOSS. With service based business model
companies can earn on FOSS.

  *What do you guys think? Will the next FOSS revolution happen in India?*
*Please leave your comments here...it will help my studies....**
http://www.techmag.biz/?q=node/85* <http://www.techmag.biz/?q=node/85>
 Thank you,
Thej
*You dont have to login for leaving comments.*