[Fsf-friends] No More Free BitKeeper

Praveen A pravi.a@gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 23:30:24 IST 2005

> He is working on a new SCM called `git`.

It is not exactly and SCM but it tries to do the work of an SCM. It is a
file system that is distributed over network.

When asked why he called the new software, "git," British slang meaning "a
rotten person," he said. "I'm an egotistical bastard, so I name all my
projects after myself. First Linux, now git."

 Read a story in PC world magazine about it.
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;1852076002;fp;16;fpid;0

  The most prominent free software advocate, Richard Stallman, had long
called for kernel developers to abandon BitKeeper, arguing that its use was
helping to convince kernel developers that the use of "non-free" software
was an acceptable practice.

Now that goal has effectively been achieved, because of the impasse between
Tridgell and BitMover.

--
"GNU is the system, and Linux is the kernel."
 A proud GNU user http://www.gnu.org