[Fsf-friends] MPlayer and the patents

Dilip V dilpu.v@gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 21:13:39 IST 2005

Hola,

           The end draws near for the sucessful floss project
MPlayer..  I just visited the site of MPlayer for downloaded the 1.0
pre7 source. Then I found the following in their website./

MPlayer is seriously threatened by software patents due to the
numerous patented multimedia techniques. Also threatened are the many
programs built upon MPlayer and the other free software multimedia
players, like xine, VLC, avifile, gstreamer  and especially FFmpeg,
which provides the framework all of the above players use.

Read more .. http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/index.html

- -
Dilip V,
http://www.dilpu.net/