[Fsf-friends] OpenOffice

Joe Steeve joe_steeve@gmx.net
Mon Apr 18 21:39:20 IST 2005

"Mahesh T. Pai" <paivakil@sancharnet.in> writes:
> There are plenty implementations of Free (as in freedom
> JREs. So, why worry?

Java is not standardized. Hence these JREs are not fully
compatible with the JRE provided by SUN. Hence, there are always
surprises on these JREs. The distro builders are trying to fix
this with `gij`., however that requires massive effort.  And with
a lot of open-standard scripting languages available (Scheme,
Python, Ruby, ...) Sun's pushing of Java simply shows that it is
intentional.

Though, I'm not personally in favour of project-forks., I think
this is high time someone decided to fork the project. May be
continue with the trees maintained by Debian/RedHat which is OO.o
stripped off its Java features.

--
.O. A proud GNU user
..O http://www.joesteeve.tk/