[Fsf-friends] Non-free device drivers in Ubuntu GNU/Linux

Vivek Varghese Cherian cherry@asianetindia.com
Fri Apr 15 08:50:12 IST 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 06:25:59AM +0530, Ramanraj K wrote:
>>> Vivek Vaghese Cherian wrote:

I do agree that helping the community by writing driver code is
indeed the proactive way of handling this issue.

If you have purchased any such hardware that did not disclose
sufficient information about its registers that force you to waste
time on "reverse engineering", please think of asking them to
disclose details or even think of complaining to the appropriate
authorities against this unethical practice in exercise of your
rights as a consumer.  Many consumers are lame in exercising their
rights, and there is little point in blaming developers for not
supporting them.

1) What are the existing laws in India that support the customer
against unethical pratices like not disclosing sufficient information
about hardware registers that force one to waste time on "reverse
engineering" ?

Any URL containing the relevant laws would be of additional help.

2) What is the name of the appropriate authority to complain to
against the unethical practice of not disclosing sufficient
information about hardware registers that force one to waste time on
"reverse engineering" ?

I feel this info would be vital not only for me but also to countless
other victims of hardware vendors not disclosing sufficient information
about their hardware.

Regards,

Vivek Varghese Cherian
Free as in Freedom <www.gnu.org>